What happened to you when your waters broke?

I'm nearly 6 months pregnant and one of the things I'm worried about it what actually happens when your waters break...is there lots of it? is it embarassing? do you have any warning that it's about it happen? I'd really like to hear other mother's stories. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

My water broke one early morning when I was lying in my bed asleep. It was 24 days before my due date and I had no warning at all. There was lots of water; and I told my husband that I thought my water just broke. He, for some reason, thought I had peed. Maybe because he was half asleep and it wasn't my due date. Nevertheless, I put a towel between my legs and a skirt on; and we went to the hospital. It didn't bother me that my water broke before I got contractions; but I can see how it might be embarassing if you're in a public place. Maybe you'll get contractions first; and your water will not break until you're in the hospital. Or maybe your water won't break at all. That also happens. Under all circumstances, I think that once you hold that baby in your arms, you'll forget all the embarassment. There's simply no better feeling than holding your newborn baby! Good luck!

Hiya. I was in hospital already when waters broke and it feels like an elastic band has pinged inside and then i had a HUGE gush of water - the equivalent of a bucket of water being thrown on the bed. Other ladies have a trickle, like a very long wee but the amount of water is usually a lot. Breaking waters is not always the beginning of labour and sometimes you can be well into second stage before they go so i'm afraid you cannot predict when during labour it may happen. Please don't worry about being embarrassed. I know it's easy to visualise being stood in a supermarket and wetting all over the floor but really, by the time 9 months comes around you wont care too much! There is nothing to be embarrassed about in labour as the people around you have seen it all (and more) before. I thought labour would be embarrassing, lying there with people obsessing over your bits, but when i was actually in labour i couldn't care 2 hoots! Best of luck with rest of pregnancy hun. xx

Source(s): Mum of 2 yr old, 16 weeks preg.

When my waters broke, there was absolutely no warning, I'd just gotten out of bed to make a coffee and BAM it all gushed out. Kinda revolting. I think I probably would have died of embarassment if it had happened in public, as there would have been no way to hide it. At the time it seemed like there was a lot of it, maybe half a cup. Then it slowly leaked out until my daughter was born about 20 hours later

Good luck with your pregnancy, and I really hope it happens when you're not in public!! :)

My water broke with a hugh gush. I was always afraid that it would break in public and everyone would see or I would ruin my bed if it happened in bed. I thought of being embarassed in public. Well it happened when I was at home in my bed. I was tossing over and suddenly I felt a hugh pop and a gush of liquid come out. I rushed to the toilet just in time to save my bed getting soaked. And as soon as I reached the toilet it all fell out as if it was waiting. I was in a pool of water which I couldn't stop from coming out. I had to fold and keep a double bedsheet under me to avoid my car getting soaked. It kept leaking till the evening until my daughter was born after 12 hours. I was at work the day before she came and I was way too far away from my due date. So you can never say. I have friends who didn't have their water break at all.

But I'm sure when its in action you forget all the embarassment. Imagine 10 people looking at you down there. But it doesn't matter at that moment.

From my experience my water didn't broke as in all the way. The water will flow little by little, along with the contractions - which is mild at this time. It's like u r urinating but u'r really not. U will feel the difference when ur water totally breaks, because of the amount of water that will come out. Next to that u will see blood with it and the contractions begins to get painful.

I had to have my waters broken in hospital because my labour was induced... It basically feels like you are peeing yourself with about 5 times the liquid and you can't stop it, it happens really quickly and is just as warm as urine. I think if it happens in public you won't be embarrased, people understand, its not like they won't be able to tell you're pregnant and therefore have a reason... you'll have other things on your mind. I was more worried about my waters breaking in our bed or on my car seat, I have heard it is really hard to get the smell out, so when i hit 7 months pregnant i put a waterproof cover on our mattress and put some plastic under my car seat cover... just in case...

P.S. if it happens in public... don't worry you'll never see those people again!

Yes there is LOTS of it. Enough that I soaked through 3 folded towels on the ride to the hospital and still got the seat wet.

What happened to me was I was brushing my teeth and suddenly I was soaked. No warning. Big splash. It happened at home so only my family was around. I didn't feel it happen so it was painless. Not embarrassing, but very exciting.

Nothing to worry about! Good luck to you.

• ?

Ive had to boys and my waters didn't break with either of them. My midwife had to break them. I wouldn't worry too much because it might not happen anyway. When you're towards the end of your pregnancy you tend to stay indoors more so if the do break on there own the chances are you'll be at home. Good luck.

i was so worried about that when i was pregnant too, but honestly i dont know anyone whose water broke in any embarassing way. they broke my water in the hospital both times, when i was already in labor. most ppl's water doesnt break til they have been in labor awhile, so the chances of it breaking out in public in an embaressing place are reallly rare!

I felt my water break. I was lying in bed and I felt this weird popping sensation in my belly. I just thought my daughter kicked me funny, so I came online to see if I could find out what it was. While I was searching, my contractions were getting stronger and stronger, and when I went to the bathroom, it was more watery looking then normal. Hope this helps!