Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Belgium · 1 decade ago

When is exactly smoking ban in Brussels will be applied?

While in Italy they already did and the Italians always go out for a while if they want to smoke. While in Brussels -still- they mixed altogether smokers and non-smokers in one place. When the precise date or time smoking ban in Brussels will be practiced?

Favorite Answer

Since January the first you are not allowed to smoke in places where they serve food...

The problem is that it's a thin line between serving food and not serving food...

Let me explain...

In a pub you can smoke if they serve only little things to eat...now defining "little things to eat" is quite easy... the law says that when there are frensh fries/chips on the menu you are not allowed to smoke...

So when you eat a steak served with only bread, no problem, you can smoke; when they serve chips with that steak, you're not allowed to smoke...

Some restaurants do have smoking rooms but you are not allowed to eat in this room...

At public places it's always prohibited to smoke except when you are in the open air...example : you can smoke outside on the gate but not inside the trainstation...

In the workplace it forbidden to smoke but sometimes a smokingroom is avalible...if not, the workers have to go outside for their smoke...

As a smoker, I was very cross to wake up this morning and hear that smoking in my car - which I do frequently - is now banned. No notice, no warning. My car is not a company car, I rarely have passengers (and if I do, I don't smoke) and I don't dispose of my cigarettes out of my window. I have been smoking longer than I have been driving, and I can easily find and light a cigarette without taking my eyes off the road - I find it more distracting trying to change the radio station. And in 15 years of smoking whilst driving, I have never once dropped a cigarette in my lap. After a bit of research, however, I discovered that smoking is not banned, as such - it is simply against advice. If you are driving dangerously, committing a driving offence or involved in an accident whilst smoking, then you are going to face a more serious penalty. However, smoking in your car is considered inadvisable rather than illegal and a contributary factor if you do something wrong. So, I shall still be happily lighting up whilst driving - it's about the only place I can smoke without pissing someone off nowadays.

Today