Which Kurt Vonnegut book shoul I read?

I don't know much about Vonnegut, but do you have any recommendations on which book I should start with?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Slaughterhouse Five. Although if you like reading this genre, you might want to try a couple of books by Ken Kesey: 1: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 2. Sometimes A Great Notion 3. The Electric Acid Koolaid Test

• 1 decade ago

Slaughterhouse 5

• 1 decade ago

Sirens of Titan was the first Vonnegut book I read and it is one of my favorites. My other favorite is Welcome to the Monkey House. It is a collection of short stories and I make a point to read it once a year. I highly recommend both of these books. If you want to know about his life, Palm Sunday is a good choice. It is sort of a collection of autobiographical essays. And if you like Welcome to the Monkey House, there's Bagambo Snuff Box, another collection of short stories, although not as good as the former.

• 1 decade ago

I was recently wondering this same thing, and so I asked my brother who is a HUGE Vonnegut fan. He said his favorite is Sirens of Titan. So I'm starting that one as soon as it arrives from Amazon.

Happy reading!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

if you like time travel and war, go for Slaughter House 5. if you like science and scientists, go for Cat's Cradle. but i don't think you can go wrong with Vonnegut. just pick one up, and get ready to immerse yourself in a dark, weird world filled with irony, and wit.

• 1 decade ago

Well, Slaughterhouse Five is his most well known work...

But I think Breakfast of Champions is a very good read, with subtle humor...

Source(s): I'm something of a "hardcore" S.F. fan. and I have read both of these books...
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.