Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 1 decade ago

Ganglion surgery for drummers?

I am a drummer and I have a ganglion on my right wrist thats painful that I want removed (by surgery)

If I had my ganglion removed, how long would it be until I could play again?

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I had a ganglion cyst on my right hand for many years. I had the option of surgery, but my orthopedic doctor told me that it might go away on its own, so I chose not to do it. Eventually the cyst went away on its own, which often happens with this type of cyst.

I had a great deal of discomfort as well. I would use a heating pad on the hand and it helped with the pain.

It will probably take you about three to four months before you have healed and can play the drums again.

Good luck

Source(s): retired doctor of Naturopathic medicine

I dont know about drumming but I had a ganglion cyst removed from my left wrist several years ago and it still gives me some grief. Mainly now I get cramps in my hand so bad that I cant hold a piece of paper.

A ganglion cyst can come and go, with varying levels of severity. You may have one, it may disappear, and return worse than before. And surgery does not guarantee that it will stay away. I know patients who have had them removed, only to have them return. Applying pressure makes them decrease in size, as well as wearing a splint on your wrist when they are present.

Source(s): Health Care Professional