How do you let go of the first guy who was just awesome compared to the other guys after him?

Though our relationship wasn't perfect, my first boyfriend was by far the best guy I've been with. It's so hard to move on since it seems like every other guy after him never measure up to him. How do I let go of him and move on?

** btw, he's getting married, so he's out of the market :(

• Favorite Answer

We all screw up from time to time. The good one that got away, is gone. You have no choice but to look ahead. What's not to let go of, a whisper spoken at midnight? The light you will see is the dawn, and the sun coming up. One can only be with one other person, and perhaps, if you are very lucky, you will find another to love. But, he will never measure up to your old guy that you have put on a pedestal. Put one foot in front of the other and just move. It gets easier with practice, but some limps remain a long time. God bless.

hmm i dont know but im in exactly the same spot although mine is moving halfway across the world instead of getting married... well i guess we must find a solution, so far i decided going out with other guys as long as this one hurts aint a good idea(i know that) unless you really care for that second person, youll learn to love them, and fill up your agenda so tight you dont have time to think about him until one day he will be out of your routine, it works for me every once in a while but i guess your only true love comes once... keep me posted cause im going crazy as well!!

The fact that you aren't together simply means that he isn't the best for you. We all fall into that trap of idealizing a past flame but the reality of it is, well, ideals are just that, ideals. Try and not look at new prospects as someone who may or may not measure up to your ex, instead, try to see them as totally different individuals who have their own thing to offer.

GOSH, I AM GOING THRU THE EXACT SAME THING HUNNY & I LOVE HIM SO MUCH,BUT HE WAS AN ALCOHOLIC ABUSER TO ME.

NO ONE UNDERSTOOD >>why<<< I GAVE HIM SO MANY EXTRA CHANCES TO CHANGE, BUT HE IS THE GREATEST MAN WHEN COMPLETELY SOBER. HE HAD IT MADE & LOST THE BEST DANG THING EVER CAME HIS WAY,I THINK.

ABUSE ISN'T TO BE TAKEN LIGHTLY AND NOW I HAVE TO PROTECT MYSELF,AS WELL AS MY 27 YR.OLD DAUGHTER,WHU IS DOWNES SYNDROME. HE DONT EVEN REMEMBER TAKING A SWING AT HER THE LAST NIGHT HE BEAT ME UP, SO SINCE HE IS STILL IN DENIAL AND WON'T TAKE RESPONSIBILITY & ACCEPT HELP THAT IS OUT THERE (WHICH HE COULD HAVE HAD MY SUPPORT WITH) THEN I CAN NO LONGER SEE HIM. I LOVE HIM, BUT MY CHILD COMES FIRST.

AND NO, NO ONE CAN >>>REPLACE<<< HIM OR YOUR MAN. NO ONE IS *REPLACEABLE. BUT APPARENTLY HE HAS MOVED ON AND IS GETTING MARRIED YOU SAY. JUST BLESS HIM & PRAY THAT YOU WILL BE AT PEACE. THE RIGHT *MAN WILL COME ALONG FOR YOU,JUST WILL APPARENTLY TAKE LONGER THAN YOU WANT IT TO...& 4 ME 2.

I HATE THAT I HAVE TO >>>BE ON THE LOOK<<< AGAIN MYSELF, BUT LIFE GOES ON AND IT ISN'T EASY WHEN ONE IS SO IN LOVE AS I AM. MY MAN WAS EVERYTHING & THEN SOME, BUT I CAN NO LONGER BE THERE. I NEARLY DIED. THANK GOD YOU HAVN'T HAD TO GO THRU THAT. AT LEAST NOW I KNOW HOW MY SISTER MUST HAVE FELT RIGHT BEFORE SHE WAS MURDERED, SO I DID AT LEAST LEARN SOMETHING HERE.

>< ICY HUGS 2YAH><

Source(s): MY REAL LIFE

repeat that last sentence to yourself. "getting married, off the market". there must be someone out there who is better for you. there must be a reason for the breakup. focus on that...

You have to kiss alot of frogs before you meet a prince.