kaje asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

Stuart Scott comparing an NBA play as "giving it up like Abe Lincoln" on SC tonight.?

Does anyone else think he was wrong to use that analogy? What else could he have meant other than giving up slavery? ESPN is owned by the Disney Corporation which, coincidentally has a new "Cinderella-type" animated movie due out soon, in which the first black princess ever is the main character. Interesting that after so many years, Disney has made the great step forward with their movie ... followed by one of their most recognized employees equating putting a ball through a nylon hoop with the abolition of slavery at the hands of the 16th President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln. What's your take?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Abe Lincoln is a penny. Giving up a penny is a cheap reference.

• 1 decade ago

Not having seen it personally it is hard to say what he meant but there is another side like "givin up the love" meaning Abe was giving up love when he signed the Emancipation Proclamation. But honestly I don't know because usage either way is uncommon and awkward in that example. Not a term in common usage but that's Stuart Scott. He does that often and did not direct his words to anybody specific.

Because if you are suggesting another Imus thing here let me explain the difference. Comedians, rappers, actors or whoever, do use the N word and everything Imus said. But they don't connect those words to anybody specific. The words are just floated, not connected to anybody in particular, just a phantom character or image of a person, or part of a story line. What Imus did was call a group of real people names. That was where the real outrage came from.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You're looking to deep into this one. My first image was Lincoln playing basketball, and thought it was funny. Also, it couldn't have anything with Lincoln being a tall person, could it? Also, you must not watch SportsCenter very often, because they are trying to make up phrases like that every 2-3 minutes.

• 1 decade ago

Lets fire the man for offending some people. That'll teach him... F-u-c-k that we have this thing in our country called the Consistution. And the first amendment is FREEDOM OF SPEECH, i think he should be able to say what he wants no matter who gets offended, if he made fun of me and my culture i would still watch SC.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

maybe he was talking about something else, we can't put words in his mouth, but if that's what he meant, maybe he just didn't think about it...we all make mistakes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.