Is this level of pain normal with a sprained ankle?

My mother sprained her ankle Thursday and she is still in a extreme amount of pain. She can't sleep, and the pain medication (Darvocet) isn't working. They took x-rays and didn't find a fracture, but could it be possible that she has a hairline fracture?

She's also got alot of swelling and redness, and her foot is burning hot to the touch. She's also running a fever and cannot put any weight on it.

I'm taking her to the doctor tomorrow, just wondering what your experiences were. I feel awful for her -- she NEVER cries but she has been.

Oh, by the way, she did this while using a push trimmer in the yard. She was pulling it back and stepped in a deep hole. Her heel remained on the edge of the hole but her foot fell in. So, basically, it was extremely over extended.

Favorite Answer

Exactly a year and a half back I sprained my ankle and the pain was excruciating, lasting a whole week. I too suspected a hairline fracture, but there was none and usually the doctor can make out if there indeed is.

I have couple of sites with information which will be of great use.

http://www.epodiatry.com/ankle-sprain.htm

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/a...

Thanks and a speedy recovery to your mom.

• Bulk O

I have broken my leg and didn't feel a thing. I had a bad sprained ankle and it was extremely painful. And that pain can last quite a long time. It is very important also that after a sprain that you when possible start to rehabilitate it. Unfortunately I didn't do a good job of that (didn't know I should at the time), and 30 years later it still stiffens up on me from time to time.

Knowing what I know about both, given a choice I would break my leg.

I sprained my ankle by running backwards to catch a baseball and sicking my foot into a gopher hole. Sound very similar to your mother.

Sometimes a sprained ankle is actually much more painful than a fracture. I broke a bone in my foot in high school and didn't find out until 6 years later when I reinjured it playing basketball. The heat is probably just due to the large amount of inflammation, but its a good idea you're taking her in. I'm not an expert or anything but I'm guessing its just a really nasty sprain.

• Karen

I badly sprained my ankle about 3 weeks ago. I was in a hurry going down the stairs, lost my balance and landed on a bad side of my left foot, causing my left ankle to be stretched going on the inside. The first 48 hours were excruciating and the pain was un-believable. I've never had a serious ankle injury before.

So I immediately treated it using the RICE method. The following day, the bruising and swelling were so horrible. I found out that I got a second degree sprain and immediately panicked after that. I had a football game on that week and it been looking forward to it because I've been training for rt. I had teammates that had similar injuries and it took them months to fully recover, some of them stopped playing altogether. So I kinda had a short-term depression because I can't imagine myself not being able to run and play sports anymore.

Because I was so desperate to recover again, I contacted a lot of people that I know who do sports and asked them if they had similar injuries. One friend of mine, from the boy's football team in my university, told me about H.E.M. Ankle Rehab. I got a copy 4 days after I got injured. I immediately read and followed what was instructed and felt improvement on the first day. I was able to walk a bit, but I was in pain.

A couple of days after that, the swelling and bruising were subsid-ing significantly and on the fourth day, I was walking comfortably again. Although I've had felt a bit of stiffness, I continued doing what was instructed. My sister was surprised that I have recovered this fast. I told her about this book and was shocked on how effective the procedures were. I'm just so happy that this book was shared to me and how effective it is.

Heal your ankle fully & fast?

unfortunately this can definately be a sprained ankle, in fact alot of times a sprain hurts more than a break. when you sprain your ankle or other parts u can pull muscles or a tendon wich will make moving it or touching it hurt for a while, icing it should help alot in addition to her pain meds. also keep her ankle above her heart, the less blood that travels to her ankle the less it will hurt so keep her layed down with her ankle propped up on a pillow with some ice maybe and the pain should subside, if this keeps happening for more than a few days u should notify her docter that it isnt getting better

Call emergency room nurse and see if your mother should go to e.r. We think there could be something extremely wrong. You can always call your doctors emergency number and the doctor on call should help. If that doctor does not help, fire him. Breaks are not as painful as sprains most of the time.

I broke my ankle a few years ago and had to go to an Urgent Care {not hospital} and they did xrays and told me it was just spained and to try to walk on it! They called me 2 days later and apoligised{sp} and told me to come back for a cast b/c it was indeed broken, and it hurt really back and it tingled REALLY bad when it was touched and was swollen....Maybe the dr. you see tomorrow will confirm the injury one way or the other...

I hope she feels better soon....