How does HIV functions to effectively eliminate an individual’s immune function?

2. how does killer T-cells (cellular immunity) fight infections?

3. Why does the doctor check under your chin and behind your ears when you think you have a sore throat?

4. What role do white blood cells play in the defense against pathogens?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • lady
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1. AIDS, a late stage of infection with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). ...a CD4 + helper T-cell count of less than 200 cells/mm3

2. T cells are extremely important to your immunity. If a microbe that can cause an infection infiltrates the body's initial barriers, such as skin or mucus, the responsibility falls to the cells of the immune system to protect you. T cells are the army troops that do the fighting, whereas the B cell's antibodies are the armed guards that hold a grudge against past offenders.

3. To see if your lymph nodes are swollen. If your nodes are swollen, it means your body is fighting an infection.

4. WBC's (aka leukocytes, leuko=white cytes=cells) help keep your body healthy. WBC's fight off anything affecting your immune system.

Source(s): Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary Anatomy & Physiology for Dummies
    • Login to reply the answers
  • AnGeL
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

HIV infects cells that are important to an individual's immune system response, such as T-cell or B-cells. This eventually leads to the shutting down of the immune system.

T-Cells have antibodies that are attatched to their surface, and as soon as they notice a sign of infection, they release these antibodies that eventually kill off the infection in several ways.

I think doctors checks under your chin to see if your tonsils are swelling ...

White blood cells are very important to the immune system. There are five kinds: neutrophil, basophil, eosinophil, monocyte, and lymphocyte. Each cell has certain functions that they perform in order to protect the body from pathogens.

• 1 decade ago

1. HIV attacks macrophages (early in the disease) which are responsible for engulfing (i.e. swallowing and digesting) bacteria and viruses. After months to years, HIV goes on to attack T cells. When HIV infects a cell, it can either directly kill the cell, or take it over to create multiple clones of itself. However the copy mechanism is not perfect, and produces small variations in the viruses, which is how the virus develops resistance to AIDS drugs.

2. T cells are responsible for making antibodies, Y shaped proteins that attach to viruses and bacteria with their upper end of their arms (i.e. the top of the letter Y). HIV manages to kill off the cells that you need to fight off an infection right when you need them the most.

3. Not sure but my best guess would be that lymph glands are present there.

4. See answer 1.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.