Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

I have to go to a funeral....?

What do i do what will happen please tell me

Favorite Answer

I am sorry for your loss. It depends on the type of funeral. Generally you will be admitted to a room (somewhat like a church) where you will sit in benches or pews. They generally roll the casket in or have the Urn (if the person was cremated) up front. Sometimes there will be an open casket, where you can walk by to pay your respects before you take your seat. you do NOT have to do this if it is upsetting to you.

Generally they start with the reading of the cards (some places only allow family in for that part), then they admit other mourners and they start the eulogy. During the eulogy people will speak of the deceased, a minister may read some comforting biblical passages and there may be some songs sung or selected music played.

When the service is finished, they will roll the casket to the waiting hearse to take it to the cemetery. They will announce during the service if the graveside service is open to everyone or just family. People pile into their cars to follow the hearse to the cemetery, then park and walk to the gravesite. There is usually an awning put up over the gravesite and a few chairs for family members. The minister says a few more words and the casket is lowered into the ground.

No one ever knows exactly what to say to the grieving, but sometimes just being there is all that is needed.

After the funeral sometimes people gather someplace to eat. Either at the church, at the deceased family's home, or at a restaurant.

If the person was cremated, there may be a "graveside" type service if the person's ashes are being interred in a mausoleum, but generally people take the ashes home with them.

Did someone recently pass away in your family? The last thing you want is to be stressed out about how to plan a funeral. These tips should help.

Steps

1. Choose a funeral home. They will ask all the questions and help you arrange a funeral.

2. Call your pastor, rabbi or spiritual leader to help you set up at your place of worship for a service.

3. Ask friends and loved ones to bring pictures of the deceased to make photo collages.

4. Consider asking for donations instead of flowers. Especially if the deceased believed in a certain cause.

5. Leave a guest book at the wake and funeral so that people can leave their addresses. You'll be writing plenty of thank you notes later.

6. In case your funeral home doesn't ask, make sure your loved one is in the obituaries.

Tips

* Pick up the book Good Grief. It's small and full of help.

* If you do receive flowers, write down a description of each and who it is from before trying to give some away. Dealing with a house full of flowers can be trying when you are grieving.

* Ask for help. People want to help you, but often feel helpless.

• Renee

if you were close to this person its best to prepare mentally its really hard to come to grasp this person is not here any longer...and this is your goodbye....

then when you enter into the funeral home you sign the guest book, walk in there is usually a bench in front of the casket, you are to kneel and say alittle prayer, get up walk over to the family members and say I'm so sorry for your loss and talk if you want then go sit down and there maybe a service and you leave....

depends on the funeral arrangements, if there is a religious aspect to it and what the religion is.

The best thing to do is stay quiet and follow along. A good funeral director will guide people - it should be fairly obvious what to do.

you look at the decease in the casket close range if you like, sad music, a sermon is said by pastor, friends and family talk about the person life. hugs are given to family, friends as well. They usually last about 3 hrs, and you also go to the cemetery too that last about 30 minutes. You just act natural show that you care, and offer anything that might be helpful to the family.

the thought I had for my own (i'm a maximum cancers survivor who has fairly deliberate my own funeral out ahead--fortuitously those plans do no longer seem to be needed precise now) became to make it a celebration of my existence. a similar pastor who oversaw my wedding ceremony is a uncommon guy: as long as admire is shown for the non secular, he has no worry seeing to the desires of disbelievers. whilst each and each individual in attendance at my wedding ceremony is familiar with i'm an Atheist, I nonetheless needed the pastor to lead a prayer for the the remainder of my relatives--the super majority of which carry a Christian denomination. He did it okay: "The bride and groom have asked a 2nd of prayer for people who might opt to take part..." and the 2nd went on. I spoke with him approximately overseeing my funeral, and having a similar style of attention. He agreed, and had various concepts for making that happen. this type any prayers stated for me have been by the selection of those offering the prayer. The funeral itself might fit me for who i became, yet enable the survivors to be who they are and manage issues of their own way.

go to funeral, talk to people, pray over the passed away person, then theres usually a priest who says some words and blessings, then you go to the burial "ground" and they say some more words and you put flowers on their grave and then i think there is a reception afterwards sometimes there is and sometimes there isnt

Usually you sit and listen to a religious person talk about the deceased and then you offer your condolences to the family and possibily attend a wake afterwards.

just be nice and look sad, which probably wont be too hard. nothing is going to happen. you can ask your parents if you can skip it. they might let you. you can tell them you wish to say good bye from where you are. my mom used to let me stay home from them. if you are over 18 you are an adult who can choose for yourself wheather you want to go or not. good luck