Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

Do you have to have bread with your meal?

I do.

Favorite Answer

Definitely YES. We always had hot bread at the table when I was growing up. My parents were Greek and reared in the South - so it was a double whammy on our part. Biscuits one day, corn bread the next, and pita bread for when Mom cooked for Grandma. We had to have some kind of bread. Period. A meal without bread was called a SNACK.

Even today, my parents (both in their 70s) still HAVE to have bread when eating out. It never fails; they'll see some other table not enjoying their complimentary loaf of bread, and they'll nudge each other and say something to the effect of "how can those people eat without bread? That's just stupid." (Note to you health fanatics - my parents have never had a weight problem, so bread is NOT unhealthy for you.)

Also, my parents both grew up during the Depression and knew people who went hungry. Anyone will tell you that the Depression hit the South especially hard, and if it weren't for biscuits and corn bread, some older folks would never have survived. When Scarlett O' Hara said "I'll never go hungry again," she wasn't kidding.

Here's my Mom's homemade bread recipe for you to enjoy:

5 cups of flour (or so)

2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)

2 pkgs active dry yeast

1 tsp. salt

Oil (Wesson, Crisco, et al)

Dissolve salt in warm water and stir with wooden spoon. Add the yeast and stir immediately, not letting the water get cold.

Stir in 3 cups of flour until it is the consistency of batter. Add more flour until the dough is sticky. You may or may not need additional flour depending upon humidity, weather etc. Discard the spoon and start mixing by hand.

Knead the dough in the bowl for 10-15 minutes by hand (great exercise, BTW), adding more flour to prevent the dough from sticking too much. Once the dough is springy and showing blisters, it is the perfect consistency.

Put a dollop of oil in the bowl and swirl the bread dough around until it is greased. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rise in a warm place for about 90 to 120 minutes.

After dough has risen to double in bulk, take your fist and punch it down. Knead it for 5-10 minutes to get rid of the air bubbles (you will hear "pops" while kneading), and cover with the damp cloth again. Let it rise for 45-60 minutes.

When dough is doubled in bulk again, punch it down. Divide dough into 2 parts. Knead each one separately (getting rid of the bubbles again), form into either an oblong or round loaf, and place in either 2 greased loaf pans (9" x 5" x 3") or 2 greased round cake pans (8" or 9").

Cut 3 slashes on the top of each loaf with a knife. Let both loaves rise for about 60-90 minutes until they fill up the pans.

Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 30 minutes or so until the bread is nicely browned. You may brush butter on top of the bread after pulling it out of the oven. Take them gently out of the pans and let cool on wire racks.

Enjoy!

Sometimes. If I am eating a pasta dish that has a lot of sauce, or some soup, then yes bread is nice because you can soak everything up! YUM.

=]

it depense the place u grew up. i used to consume bread in basic terms approximately with ever meal lower back homestead at my mothers. now i dont consume it greater then once or twice a week. each lifestyle is diffrent.

No not always but I sure do like good bread.

• mara

no... if its there why not?...if not i'll be fine w/o it...

• Lola P

not really.