Labor and Pain is COMING!!! Help?

My best friend of all time is having a baby soon. She 17. And so am I. Well, the father of course left and her parents well thats a different story. So, because of this lack of support she asked me to be there to help her with the birth of her baby. Immedialy I agreed too, but that time is getting closer. She's about 35 weeks now. Im soooooo nervous about this. Im probably going to cry cause, I cant stand seeing people in pain. Shes the strong one, and Im the big baby, lol. But, I got to be there for her since no one else will. I need tips on how to deal with focusing on her comfort and not my parionod ***, lol.

Thx!!!

Favorite Answer

You may see her in pain for alittle while but probably not for long. The hospital will probably give her something for the pain. If you want to be in the delivery room with her then you need to stay strong the entire time. Before your friend even has a chance to see you freak out, the nurses will kick you out of the room because if you panick, you will make your friend panick too and that might put the baby in distress. If you honestly feel like you cant handle it then it might be better that you not be in the room with her. Remember you are all she has so think about that and Im sure that will keep you strong and supportive for her.

You might look into some books for labor support. I really liked the Bradley Method but any method that promotes having a helper for the mom in the delivery room will have good information for you. It helps if you know what to expect as much as possible. Classes would be better for both of you but at 35 weeks that might be tough. Ask at the hospital she plans to deliver in to see if they offer anything.

• julia

Just try to be as strong as you can, and don't think too much about the pain your friend is going through; just be there for her when she needs you as a source of comfort. Even if you are cringing inside at the sight of such a painful process, try to keep all your feelings in for now, since if you act very scared, she will become scared too.

• Bethy4

Yeah, right now you are apprehensive and scared as hell, (imagine how your friend feels - she is about to have a child - physically deliver a baby - her life will not be the same from there on in) but you know what, childbirth is the most beautiful thing, nasty looking as hell, but beautiful at the same time. Suck it in and don't let your friend see your fear, be there for her and the baby and be the bestest God Mother and friend you can be. God Bless.

• lix

When the time comes your instincts will take over and you won't think about yourself. Remember, this is a brand new life emerging and you are so privileged to be invited for the birth.