Tinnitus and Hopi Ear Candling?

I've recently heard that Hopi Ear Candling has been known to help tinnitus. I've suffered with this following spinal surgery and a CSF for 2 years now. During the day at work it's not too bad, but at night when life has quietened down, it drives me nuts! I know there's no cure, but would be interested in any views.....

Favorite Answer

Hopi ear candles MIGHT work for you - as they work for SOME people. It's horses for courses with things like tinnitus. I've treated people with tinnitus with homoeopathy and / or ear candles with success in some cases. There are lots of natural therapies that might help - it's finding the one for you that will. If nothing else, ear candling is massively relaxing. Contrary to some unreferenced "evidence" pulled by couple of respondees here, I've seen huge plugs of wax removed from peoples ears with candles including a sausage shaped piece about 3/4" long from my daughters ear when she was 3 years old. Explained the ear-ache she had! It never caused her a problem since & if her ears get a bit waxy, I do a treatment, the wax is removed (and there's a big difference between removed wax & candle residue) and all is well. In many years of using this treatment, I've never burned anyone. It's completely safe if you are trained in the practice, use the only candles that insurance firms will support, and you are sensible!

Source(s): Nurse. Registered Homoeopath. Thermo-auricular therapist.

I wouldn't use Hopi Ear Candles for Tinnitus but thats just myself.

Have a look at Kevin Hogan's website - he has conquered his tinnitus and has a very interesting book Tinnitus:Turning the Volume Down. His website is www.kevinhogan.com and click on Tinnitus.

Hope this helps

• hyon

2

Source(s): BREAKTHROUGH in tinnitus research http://www.tinnitusplus.com/Kpfts2

Hi,

Don't know much about tinnitus, save that my Nan has it and wears a little hearing aid that plays white noise into her ear to cancel out the ringing, which seems to work. The main point is though, that ear candling is really not good for you, and that any wax retrieved come only from the candle, not your ear. Your more likely to just get candle wax in your ear. If you feel it neccesarry to remove wax from your ear then ask your doctor for ear drops, or buy some like Otex. These are gentle and won't harm the eardrum, the same cannot be said for candling. Check out this website (found when i originally looked at candling myself) for why:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/...

I've got tinnitus too so I know what you mean. I did some research on this, as I was considering it, and there's some very mixed views out there:

"Ear candling is a dangerous and ineffective alternative medicine practice which has repeatedly been shown to be a con trick. Ear candles don't exert enough negative pressure to suck wax out of the ear - if they did, they would perforate your ear drum. What's more, those mucky deposits found in the candle at the end of a session occur even when the candle is not put in a person's ear. There have also been a number of cases of severe burns to the inner ear caused by hot wax. Stay safe - don't let anyone put candles in your ears! "

"Ear candles are dangerous and are banned in some countries. In addition, they do not work, as there is no way they can create a vacuum to remove wax. If they did, they would burst the eardrum. The real risk is dripping wax burning the inside of the ear and eardrum. Look for Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) specialists' comments on the web. Avoid this treatment."

Most of the people who sing its praises practise it themselves, for money, so it's in their interests to sell it. I consulted my GP and she advised against it so I decided not to have it done.

http://chealth.canoe.ca/columns.asp?columnistid=3&...

As for the doctor here who says there's no cure that's hogwash. Go to this site I found, they have natural formulas for tinnitus.

From what I read here they don't make any promises, but many people have been helped, and some doctors are now recommending this stuff. As for the ear candling I read here that it can damage your ears.

And to the comments about herbs etc, I'd like to ask the doctor here what did we do before we had drugs? Drugs have only been around since the turn of the century. Herbal formulas and homopathic medicine was commonly used in the 1800's.

I had my hearing damaged by an incredibly loud roadworks machine years ago. I can understand why it drives you nuts. The solution that I used for a long time was having my radio on, quietly, while I lay in bed. After a while you get used to it and start getting to sleep easy. My tinnitus seams to have reduced as the years have gone by, either that or I've got used to it. An alternative to a radio would be a fish tank with one of those bubble machines, you don't need any fish in it; just the bubbles to create background noise. The brain does eventually filter out tinnitus, but don't hold your breath, I've been waiting 15 years. I hope that these suggestions help.

Lily-I feel really bad for you. I had it for about 5 weeks after a sinus surgery and I thought it was maddening. All but one of my employees are Native American and I had the Hopi candling done and the tinnitus disappeared. I don't know whether it was coincidence or not; don't know if it would work for everyone; but it disappeared immediately for me as soon as the candling was done. God bless you and good luck. I'd try it--the worst that can happen is that it's not successful.

Actually, there is a treatment that will remedy tinnitus. I don't believe that it's posted on their web site, but if you call them they will be able to tell you what it is. They do have 2 treatments for the ear. One is for Ear drainage, and the other is for hearing loss. I believe that the treatment they use for Tinnitus is a combination of both of these treatments.

Have you ever been diagnosed with high blood pressure? Usually they go hand in hand.

Sorry it won't help at all.

In the few weeks I have been answering 'Health Answers' I have had my eyes really opened. I had no idea that such a high percentage of the population are so naive as to believe in the myths, potty patent medicines, illegal drugs, illegally purchased prescription only drugs, charlatans and just plain crooks, purporting or pretending that they can fix them.

The problem is also that to be allowed on the market most of these preparations only have to prove that you are not very likely to drop dead soon after you take them! Once this is established they appear to legally be able to make any wild and unsubstantiated claim they like!

There are no cures for tinnitus. Masking using a noise generator may help.

Source(s): GP for more years than I care to remember