Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

I want to join the army.. but im confused?

I want to join the army but im confused about it. Theres.. reserve and active.... a national guard, ROTC.. etc.. Whats the difference between them all?

I know theres boots camp, then ait, whats after? I know you get your assignment, but what are those assignments?

And.. If you sign up for 2 years, and do 2 years, can you still be deployed or anything?

Update:

i know i will get deployed if i join, im not saying i dont want to. Im asking will i still be after w/e how many years i sign up for

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When you join the Army, you actually join for 6 years. If you are signing up for two years active duty, the remaining 4 years will be in the reserves.

There are two types of reserves, active and inactive. Active Reservists go to training duty one weekend each month plus an additional 2 weeks duty during a year. While in active reserve status additional training can be completed and you can be promoted (although more slowly than when in active duty status).

Inactive Reservists don't do anything other than keep their contact information current with the Army Reserve.

While in a reserve status, active or inactive, you can be recalled to active duty if the government requires (like during time of war....Iraq!).

The National Guard is a military group run by the states. National Guard functions very much like the Active Reserve. Many National Guard groups have been called to active duty in Iraq.

ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps) is military training for college students. They commit to a period of active duty followed by active orinactive reserve status in return for tuition assistance for college. Upon graduation from college they become commisioned officers (think supervisor or manager of enlisted members).

After enlisting in the Army, you will go to basic training (boot camp) followed by AIT (Advanced Infantry Training). There may be additional traing after AIT depending on your job specialty. Most soldiers are basic infantry. Other jobs include many civilian type jobs like data processing, office work, medical aides, etc. After AIT you could go to one of thee schools or go to an infantry unit. Infantry units spend their time training for combat duty or are deployed to combat (Iraq !).

Soldiers that receive other training can also go to Iraq, but spend their time doing the specialty jobs. Some specialty jobs involve combat (tanks, armored car drivers, etc.), many others do not.

Hope this helps some.

Source(s): Former Active Duty Marine for four years. Active Reservist for 8 years.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You're female. The only way I know how to sign up for the Army for only 2yrs is to go active and go Infantry. Females cannot go infantry.

I have a friend who signed up for 2yrs though. He was from Queens, NY. He spent 6months in Alaska then spent 2yrs in Iraq.

Active Army, Army National Guard, and Army Reserve all do the same BCT and AIT together. Same class, there is no difference between an Active soldier and a Guard/Reserve soldier in BCT and AIT. Same class, same platoon, same squad, etc. They don't seperate them.

Reserve and Guard are basically the same thing. The only difference is the Guard is controlled by the state, instead of the feds. So, you get alot more benefits for school and such.

ROTC is Reserve Officer Training Course. It's basically a class in college for the first 2yrs, then the second 2yrs you contract to be an officer for 4yrs active or 6yrs guard/reserve after you graduate. Lots of benifits for that.

If you go Guard/Reserve you will sign up into a specific unit. There are usually Guard/Reserve Armories in every decent sized town in the US. So, after you finish AIT and BCT you go home. The only side effect is that you have to pick an MOS that you can travel to. Each unit has only certain MOSes and most are Infantry. So, as female depending on where you live, you may have to go 75miles to go to drill. Then again, there may be a unit in your town.

If you go active, they send you where they send you. You can do a dream sheet and hope you get one of those places, but if you pick somewhere that they don't need you, you're not going. I suggest requesting Darmstadt, Germany. Not a whole lot of ppl request it, and even though I haven't been, I know lots of people who have and they all loved it.

Source(s): Army National Guard
  • 1 decade ago

The reserves and National Guard are about the same thing, you serve a little time here and there throughout the year and get paid for it. Active duty you live the life every day in and out. ROTC goes to a head start when you join and promotions when you sign on.

After AIT you will go to your duty station and participate in whatever MOS you signed up for. Your duty station will depend on if you got a garaunteed duty station when you signed up or what your MOS is and where they need you at that time. It all depends on your MOS talk to a recruiter about that he will be able to give you more information overall.

If you only sign up for two years yes you can still be deployed and chances are will be deployed, they will want to get all the time and money they can get out of you in those two years and deployment is the best way for them to do that. Keep in mind though if you sign up for two years you still have six in the IRR(inactive ready reserves). Your total sign up is eight years, your initial sign up and then the rest is in the IRR where they can call you up whenever they want or need you.

If you really want to join and don't want to get deployed join a non-combat MOS, I don't know what the sign up times are on those though.

A recruiter will be able to answer all of your questions but keep in mind all of those answers may not be totally truthful, do your research before you sign the dotted line.

AIT is not Advanced Infantry Training it is Advanced Individual Training, it is indepth traning on your specific MOS.

Source(s): Three years in Army Infantry
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Reserves are the reserve to the active Army; National Guards primary role is as it's called, to defend the nation..ROTC is Reserve Officers Training Course Which upongraduation you become an Officer in the reserves.

After boot camp is AIT (Advance Individual Training) for the MOS (Military Occupational Speciality) you signed up for.

You enlistment in th active Army can be extended by the Secretatary of the Army for any time the Army may need to keep you, though never more than 1 yr.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Reserve you do not get paid full time, your there on call for when the country needs you. Many reserve have been called up to serve in Iraq or to take the places of soldiers currently serving in Iraq. Most reserve are former active duty. Active duty is those who are generaly thought of as being IN the Army. ROTC is for officer recruits, you agree to join the military as an officer after finishing an aproved college plan with ROTC.

Assignments after AIT are all over the world, every were.

Joining for 2 years increases your chances of getting deployed as you will not have advanced training to fill an advanced roll in a not deployed status and the military has no need for unskilled persons to sit around and do nothing while we are at war.

Source(s): PS: More likely than not your going to Iraq.
  • amglo1
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Any sign up you do will require at least 5 years inactive duty, that means you can be recalled after your standard tour of duty/ My son was in for 4 years (15 mths in Iraq) and has been out for 3 years, he is in no danger of recall. Your assignment will be your MOS (school/job), you need to qualify for the job you want BEFORE you take the final oath. Recruiters will tell you almost anything, they will promise you the world and you can end up with nothing. National Guard normally does Basic Training and then a meeting every month & 2 weeks duty a year but with the war on terror they are being treated the same as regular Army. If you have any type of education consider the Air Force or Navy. Good luck and thanks for considering service to your country.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ok. you already got your answers from other people on what the difference between active, guard, and all that is....so im going to answer the other stuff in a way a girl would rather hear it than guy language. haha they even confused me and i know what im talking about. haha

AIT is where you go to learn in depth how to do the job that you sign up for. Its basically like going to college only..you have class everyday for long periods of time and then you still have to do PT in the morning. You get your "assignment" which is where they tell you which unit you will be attatched to after you graduate and where you will live while serving in that unit. Like..my husband is graduating from AIT soon and we have our orders or his "assignment" to go to Fort Hood, TX where we will be stationed at for at least a year. You can be stationed in many different places but when you go to AIT you can choose your preferences for where you would most like to go. You can also be stationed outside the US in places like korea, japan, or germany. (although the germany base is closing sometime soon i guess?..at least thats what my husband tells me..).

If you sign up for 2 years..you will do your 2 years and then you can either sign up for more years or you can leave the army. BUT...if they need you..they have a certain number of years that they can still call you up to do duty overseas if they need you. So yes...you can still be deployed.

Good luck with everything! The army is a great thing! Im proud for the choice you are making. Its definetly a hard choice to make and it shows guts that your even thinking about doing it! Yes..you will probably go to Iraq...but thats a chance you take when signing up for the Army. Thats what they are trained to do. They train to defend their country..so its part of the duty to go to war. I do reccomend talking to a recruiter so you can get more in depth answers to all your questions though! Good luck again....and thank you for the choice to serve!

Source(s): Army wife of an E2 and Army sister of an E6
  • CRmac
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

technically all enlistments are 8 years....you can sign up usually for 2 4 or 6 year active duty.......but after that you are inactive reserves until the 8 years is up....so you dont have to do weekend drills and stuff like the other reserves...but you can be deployed, it doesnt happen alot but there is a chance.say you do 4 years in a certain MOS.....then 2 years later they are short on people to deploy for a specific mission for that MOS, they can call you up and make you go.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Reserves are basically the National Guard (though that's just one example). ROTC is Reserve Officer Training. You sign up and become an officer, 2nd. LT unless that has changed since I was in the military. Active is if you sign up for the military in any branch and you are just that. All services go through basic training...PE, drill, marksmanship, more PE more drill, dodging bullets, throwing grenades, self-defense, etc. AIT is Advanced Infantry Training. Map reading, tactics, etc. Regardless of what service you sign up for, yes, they can send your GI bod wherever they want. You have absolutely no choice. Our local National Guard unit just came back from a year in hell known as Iraq. I talked with many of them around Christmas. Some are scarred for life. My advice, DON'T ENLIST!!!

• Maria
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Choosing which branch of the military to join is an important and personal decision. But let me share a couple of opinions with you: In terms of living conditions, Air Force is number one and Marines is last. In terms of being bada**, Marines is number one and Air Force is last. In all seriousness, though, if you want to go into the medical field, the Marine Corp is probably not the way to go. The reason for this is because the Marines don't have medical personnel. All medical needs for the Marines is taken care of by the Navy. So while the Army runs around with medics, the Marines run around with Navy corpsman. Since this is a personal decision, I suggest talking with recruiters and find out which fits you best. Good luck.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.