3cats asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Is it true that you can't sue someone for killing your animal because animals are considered "property"?

Is this the reason why they are not legally protected the way humans are? It drives me crazy when I see on TV how people who abuse animals are only given a small fine or not prosecuted at all?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You said it all. Yes, animals are still considered "property" and no, they are not protected by law as are humans. The Doris Day Animal League is pushing legislature to try to change the laws, but as long as some of these blockhead politicians hold office, nothing will change. Write to your Congressman, he will do anything to get your vote, even listen about animal welfare.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You most certainly CAN sue someone if they kill your animal, and it's BECAUSE they are property! In most states, you not only can recoup the cost of the animal, but any vet bills, any lost wages/lost work on your behalf, and the person can be prosecuted separately under the state and local animal cruelty laws. As with any court case in which you are the plaintiff, though, the burden of proof is on YOU to prove that they did it, unless they openly confess.

Probably the worst travesty of animal cruelty vs. animals as property that I've seen, though, was from the recent PeTA trial in North Carolina, in which two PeTA employees were given healthy cats, kittens, puppies and dogs by animal shelters and veterinary clinics, who were told that the animals were going to be put up for adoption and given a good home. As soon as they got the animals in their van, the PeTA employees killed them, by lethal injection, using illegally-obtained controlled drugs, and threw their bodies into trash dumpsters at local supermarkets. Their excuse was that it was cruel in and of itself to keep animals as pets, and that they were saving the animals from a lifetime of abuse! The judge found PeTA guilty-of LITTERING, because they improperly disposed of the bodies! They were NOT found guilty of obtaining goods under false pretenses for lying to the shelters and vet that they would try to find homes for the poor animals, nor of animal cruelty, because the judge ruled-and PeTA AGREED-that once they took the animals, the animals became THEIR PROPERTY, and they could do with their property as they so wished...except litter with it, of course. Now if that doesn't make you mad, I don't know what will!

• 1 decade ago

You most certainly can sue them. They will have to pay for the medical bills and some judges will award pain and suffering. They will have to pay to replace the animal if they killed it.

• 1 decade ago

you can sue for the value of the animal in most places.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

no, some states have tougher laws than others,here in N.C.it is very serious to abuse or neglect animals.it makes me sick to see what people do and get away with it

• 1 decade ago

I'm completely with you they should be punished but in some states you can sue.

• 1 decade ago

in some state it is, then again if you got the money and time you may win in court.

• 1 decade ago

i know what you mean -it's sickening , but kharma will get EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.