Where do you start, after graduating, to get an IT job?

I am about to graduate from uni and I already know that it will be difficult to find a job in computing/IT because they require relevant experience, and most people do end up doing something different.

I wanna do something in networking, and I will continue learning CCNA in my own time.

For the ones that were successful, where did you start? What jobs did you apply for to get your foot in the door? Any great advice would be appreciated...

Favorite Answer

When you first start out, especially with no actual experience, it will be difficult but don't give up. Persistance is the name of the game here.

Studying CCNA is a very good start but I would recommend that you learn about as many network technologies as you can and study constantly. A good place to start is by getting A+ and Network+ certified through CompTIA because it is a prerequisite for many networking-type jobs.

Realistically, you should expect to start out as a PC technician or assistant and work your way up from there. My first job was as an Information Systems Assistant (temp) but it gave me needed exposure into the realm of IT.

Another option that would give you experience is to consider applying for an Internship but most do not pay, so if money is a factor this may not be the right option for you.

These are a few of the technologies and terms that you will need to know inside and out: TCP/IP, IPv6, DNS, NAT, Active Directory, LAN/WAN, OSI, RIP, PPP, MX, SNA, VPN, 802.11 (a,b,g), etc...

A very good source of information for beginners is the Dummies series of books available at http://www.dummies.com/ While they do not go into the level of detail that a seasoned veteran would need, they are very informative and explain things very clearly, and in plain english.

Lastly, I want to warn you to expect to have to deal with technically-clallenged users, an over-bearing boss, and a work schedule that is sometimes less than ideal. This is not always the case, especially if you are lucky, but is very possible as you are just starting out.