Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

translation of an english expression?

It's a song:

"Thems the breaks

for we designer fakes

we need to concentrate on more than meets the eye"

what does the expression "thems the breaks" mean here?

Thanks

Favorite Answer

Them's the breaks most likely mean 'you get what's coming to you' The singer might be trying to say that If 'you' weren't so focused on how you look on the outside, you'd see that there is so much more to life (or whatever) than that. If you dress a homeless person up in Gucci, Fendi, etc., he/she may look good/great but he/she is STILL homeless.

A break is slang for the an opportunity or occurrence. A break is what fate deals you moment by moment. You have to accept them. So thems the breaks means 'that's what's happened' or 'that is the sequence of events fate has dealt out for me today - I have to accept them'. it is roughly the equivalent of 'that's life'

That is how it turned out--usually means that something happened that was negative, or it didn't turn out the way you wanted, so just deal with it.

It is a variation on an old saying "That's the breaks".

That's life

This should be 'them's the breaks' with an apostrophe. It then goes to 'them is the breaks', which is an ungrammatical redneck way of saying 'they are the breaks'. At least that's what I make of it.

it means that thats just how it is

my mom always says "thems the breaks"

I don't know...

Those are the bad times? Maybe.

I have no idea. I've never heard that before.

"There are certain things that are inevitable in life, and this is one of them!"

It just means-that's just how it is.

perhaps it is terms not thems