Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareFirst Aid · 1 decade ago

How should I treat a dog Bite?

I was bite by a dog a couple of days ago. Do I need to test this dog? What is the norm?

Favorite Answer

Most dog bites are treated with antibiotics. 50% of bite wounds from healthy dogs will get infected. That % goes up with unhealthy dogs.

Generally the dog's rabies vaccination status needs to be checked. If the dog is not up to date, then it will be quarantined to see if rabies develops in the animal. If the dog cannot be found then initiating the series of rabies vaccinations is needed. Shots on days 0, 3, 7, 14, and 28. These are not the shots of urban legends. They are just simple shots. On the first day there are a few more because of the type of shots needed. But the other days are just one shot in a muscle like any other shot.

And yes, you should be up to date on your tetanus shot for any wound that breaks the skin.

Source(s): Emergency Physician

You need to know if this dog is up to date on it's shots. If you can , ask the owner. Also, when was the last time you had a tetanus shot? After you were bitten, did you clean the wound? Does it look red and infected. If so, see a dr asap.

with care