Pool: Is is Physics or Geometry?

My fiance and I love to play pool, when instructing new players such as my childern, I tell them its physics. My fiance says no its geometry... what do you think?

Best Answer

I'm going to have to agree that there are elements of both physics and geometry present in pool. However, I like to think of pool as more of a mixture between art and science. Geometry is present in pool in regards to things like angles of incidence vs. occurrence, etc. I agree that physics seems to play a greater part than geometry. Friction, decay of spin, elasticity, and other factors are all present. It's good to have a understanding of the science behind pool, but it's also important to not become overly analytical in your approach to teaching. I always tell my students that this isn't going to be a class in advanced physics and mathematics. I always say, "Show me a person that can plot the exact vector of a cue ball on a schematic and I'll show you someone who couldn't make a ball to save their life". Of course, I'm joking but you get the idea. Have fun playing with your family. It's a great way to stay in touch with them. M.D.-BCA Instructor/Referee.

• melesa

Pool Geometry

It's sort of both, but physics is definitely a much better answer than geometry.

Geometry is a branch of pure mathematics. That is, it isn't an empirical science. That is, geometry is purely deductive and theoretical and it doesn't necessarily correspond to the reality of something like pool.

You need the laws of physics to make geometry say anything about what happens in pool. On its own, geometry is purely theoretical and it doesn't really have anything to do with a real game of pool, but by using the laws of physics (specifically, those pertaining to quasi-elastic collisions), you can relate geometry to pool.

Source(s): i am a physicist

Its physics that determines the pool ball trajectories, geomertry has little to do with pool unless there was no friction in the game, but this game is all about friction. At the higher levels of pool, the cue ball doesn't always travel in a straight line, the angle of incidence is hardly ever equal to the angle of reflection, and sometimes the cueball will stop dead, and then start moving after a short delay. These things can't be explained by geometry alone.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Pool: Is is Physics or Geometry?

Source(s): pool physics geometry: https://knowledge.im/?s=pool+physics+geometry

Physics. The study of physics includes geometry.

physics studies motion, geometry studies angles. one is uncluded in the other. geometry has to be a part of physics.

to the intelligent person.....pool is physics.

to the one that has a closed mind, pool is geometry

Both:

physics because you're moving a mass (the cue ball) at a certain velocity in order to cause an inelastic collision with an object at rest (the other balls, in order to impart the onject with some of the cue balls energy.

Geometry because of the angles involved in the collision between balls and the rails

It's Both!!

the geometry of the angle of the shots and the physics of how the ball rotates (english) when hit in a certain spot and the speed and trajectory of the ball hitting a non moving object.

geometry

we actually used pool as a study tool in my geometry class.