AP Chemistry Question: Free energy.?

I am in a high school AP Chemistry course and the AP test is coming up. Our teacher has been giving us old AP test questions as homework to prepare. However there is one part of a question which even he couldn't understand. He gave it to us as extra credit. I would like to know if any of you understand it. It... show more I am in a high school AP Chemistry course and the AP test is coming up. Our teacher has been giving us old AP test questions as homework to prepare. However there is one part of a question which even he couldn't understand. He gave it to us as extra credit. I would like to know if any of you understand it. It is an essay question. Here is the part none of us understand:

b) Some reactions that are predicted by their sign of delta G(standard state) to be spontaneous at room temperature do not proceed at a measurable rate at room temperature.

i) Account for this apparent contradiction.

ii) A suitable catalyst increases the rate of such a reaction. What effect does the catalyst have on delta G (standard state) for the reaction? Explain.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Sincerely,
Gabe
Update: Question involving Thermodynamics and Kinetic Molecular Theory.