Queen Mary?

Queen Mary, princess of Teck, made quite an imposing figure and what, I think, many people probably believed was what a great queen of yesterday year looked like, was and lived.

She was the consort of George V. After he died, I assume she was styled the "Queen Mother." But then when her son, George VI died, his wife became Queen Mother. How was Queen Mary styled after this?

I understand that she died of lung cancer. I wonder, did she smoke?

Favorite Answer

Wikipedia does an awesome job of telling all the info about many famous persons. I just read about Queen Mary ("May") and all your answers are in this link. I don't want to cut and paste, because it is quite a bit.

Nothing was mentioned about smoking.

When Mary's eldest son, Prince Edward, Prince of Wales, ascended the throne as Edward VIII, She was now Queen Mother

(and I believe she was mentioned as a "dowager queen" at her son Albert's coronation)

On the death of a king, his wife becomes Queen Dowager. Queen Elizabeth, the future Queen Mother, hated the title and never used it. When her daughter became queen, it became necessary to distinguish between them, so she became Queen Mother.

Queen Mary became the standard by which all queens were compared at that time. She never smoked, but the entire family (except for our present Queen) were notorious smokers. It was King George VI, her son, who died of lung cancer.

"Queen Mother" was something unique given to Queen Elizabeth, mother Queen Elizabeth II, because she was literally the mother of the queen. Plus, she was very popular and well-loved, so it was also a term of endearment. Queen Mary was most likely just called 'Dowager', though everything I've read simply called her 'Queen'. Besides, she didn't live that long after her son.

As for her cancer, she didn't smoke, but even people who don't smoke can and do get lung cancer, it's just pretty rare.

In all of my research on her, I have not seen any suggestion that she was a smoker.

However, her sons, husband and indeed most of her family (including Grandchildren) were. She was exposed to their second hand smoke quite often.

NO BUT THE SMOKE POLLUTION MADE HER LUNG CANCER

Source(s): QUUEN MARY IS A LUXIORIUS SHIP

No she didn't smoke.

did you ask her or other family members