What are the basic power tools every homeowner should own?

I don't have any tools at home except for a few screwdrivers and hammers ect... I'd like to go out and buy at least the basics for minor repairs around the house also projects and hobbies. What brands are best? Can I get a kit or combo of power tools for a good price? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!

• jube
    Favorite Answer

1. 3/8 inch power drill and a good set of titanium coated drills (inexpensive). They will drill into most any home building material.

2. A set of screw driver bits to go with the drill.

3. A set of punches. (for starting holes in metal).

4. An assortment package of screws.

5. An assortment package of bolts and nuts.

6. A pair or set of channel lock pliers.

7. A set of vice locks. (usually 3 sizes in a pack and inexpensive at Walmart).

Home Depot has several combos they are marketing now as well as Lowe's and Sears (Craftsman).

I personally have five heavy duty pieces (Ryobi). Drill Press, Compound Saw, medium sized router and table, and a 71/2 inch power hand saw. I bought these a couple years ago for $99.00 each on the big pieces. The 3/8 inch drill was about $40.00.

I would advise against battery operated tools. Yes, they are handy, but unless you use them a lot they will probably need to be charged when you want to use them. I have found a couple of minutes running a cord is quicker than waiting for the "1 Hour" charger to recharge that cordless rig. Often times you will find that when you need to replace the battery's in a few years it will be cheaper to buy a new tool with new batteries than to get replacements for the one you have only used a dozen times in the past 3-4 years.

The professionals that use cordless tools count on the ease of use and that fact they don't have to drag the cord along where ever they go. Not to mention the safety of no cords on the job site to trip over.

A corded drill is as cheap or cheaper than most cordless drills, and will be more powerful, and if you get a name brand it will last many years longer than that handy cordless tool that needs to be charged either before you can start, or recharged before you get that last hole drilled, screw driven, or the last piece of trim cut at the end of your project.

Mainly tools are worth what you pay for them. Bargain prices are not always the best. Almost any name brand tool will work well. For the most part, they didn't get to be a major brand by building junk. Each have features you will like more than others.

• Mary

Since I don't know what you already have, I may be suggesting stuff you don't need. And it's a good idea to let whoever is using the tools choose them, sometimes, because everyone has different size hands and other preferences. If you'll both be using them, you'd better take that into account for both of you. I'll give you a list of things I wouldn't want to be without. It's by no means a complete list but it's somewhere to start. In every case, buy at least medium quality. The really cheap stuff, especially in power tools, isn't worth buying. Power tools: Cordless drill. Get one with the biggest battery you can stand to hold the weight of. And don't forget to get a selection of drill bits and screwdriver bits to go with it Jig saw Circular saw Reciprocating saw Hand tools: Framing hammer Screwdriver, multi-bit type Crescent wrenches, 8" Get two Vise grips, ideally one curved jaw and one straight jaw Utility knife, with replacement blades. Tape measure. Buy a good one that doesn't collapse if extended more than 10 feet Set of Allen keys, metric and Imperial Socket set. This can be a cheap one as long as he's not fixing cars with it. Nail pulling tool. The cat's paw type, about 12" long, is probably most versatile. That ought to take care of $500. As you tackle different projects, buy the tools you need for each project and the collection will grow.

• Tina B

If you are going with battery operated tools choose 1 brand and make sure each tool uses the same volt size battery. That way your tools are interchangeable and you can add to your tool chest as your budget allows.

Power tool basic must haves:

heavy duty extension cord, cordless drill, skill saw, jig saw and a Dremel or Rotozip.

With all the accessories and attachments available for the Dremel you will find this to be one of your most valuable tools around the house.

• shorty

They have many sets that go from inexpensive to very expensive. Go to Home Depot or Sears to check them out. I suggest having a power drill and screwdriver, a small circular saw and sander. You probably will need a level too. Those are the basics you will need to start you off.

A good cordless drill Will be of great help, do not buy a really cheap one, you'll be disappointed. decent pliers will also come in handy. A set of spanners is a must also.

Do not buy cheap if you want to have your tools for a long time.