What tests and things need to be done during a pregnancy and one year after giving birth?

I am doing a project for school and I need to know the cost of having a baby. I would like to know what tests and vaccinations need to be done during pregnancy and one year after giving birth.

Favorite Answer

That is alot of info. I posted a link to baby center. I used that alot when I was pregnant. The link lists all the test by trimesters.

I am sure if you use this site it will help with all your questions for your project.

Here is how that starts and I ONLY listed the first trimester:

"First trimester tests"

At your first prenatal visit, your practitioner will give you a thorough physical, including a pelvic exam. She'll do a Pap smear (unless you've had one recently) to check for abnormal cells, including cervical cancer. She may also do a culture to check for chlamydia and gonorrhea.

Next, she'll order routine blood tests to identify your blood type and Rh status, and a blood count to check for anemia. She'll also have the lab test your blood for syphilis, hepatitis B, and immunity to German measles (rubella), and offer to test for HIV. (If your practitioner doesn't offer you an HIV test, be sure to ask about it. Being treated for HIV during pregnancy can dramatically reduce your chances of passing the infection to your baby.) In addition to taking blood, she'll ask for a urine sample to test for urinary tract infections and other conditions.

If you're at high risk for gestational diabetes, a glucose challenge test might be done at your first visit. In some cases, your provider will also do a skin test to see if you've been exposed to tuberculosis. And if you're not sure whether you've even had chicken pox (or been vaccinated against the virus), she'll order a blood test to check for immunity.

In addition, your caregiver may offer you genetic screening, such as a nuchal translucency screening (an ultrasound done at 10 to 12 weeks) or a first-trimester combined screening (an ultrasound and a blood test). These screening tests can give you some information about your baby's risk of having certain chromosomal problems and other birth defects. Another option is CVS, a prenatal genetic diagnostic test done between 10 and 13 weeks. Finally, depending on your ethnic background and medical history, you may have a blood test to see if your baby is at risk for sickle cell disease, Tay-Sachs disease, cystic fibrosis, thalassemia, and certain other genetic disorders. "

GOOD LUCK and I hope you get an A+

• lawmom

After the initial pregnancy test, you will see the doctor once a month until about the 30th week and then you go every two weeks until the 36th week, then every week until birth. Tests include, but are not limited to:

Pregnancy test

HIV and other standard blood tests

Iron test

Blood sugar test, then a follow up test if blood sugar too high to check for gestational diabetes.

An ultrasound at about 20 weeks. Some doctors do several ultrasounds as part of the pre-natal care, others do one or two. If you need to have an early ultrasound, before 15 weeks or so, you usually have to go to the hospital and it's expensive - about $500.

Pregnancy costs vary so much due to health issues, multiple babies, etc. Here's what I paid while pregnant. (I had insurance, but here are the billed costs without insurance).

$500 for hospital ultrasound at 10 weeks.

$3000 for the doctor which included all pre-natal visits/care and delivery.

$2500 for the hospital for two days.

Some women need amniocentices which is another test that is expensive, and if you get an epidural during labor, add about $1000.

For the baby (I don't know how much all this cost, It was covered by insurance and I was too busy and tired to pay attention):

$250 for hospital visits and care after delivery.

PKU testing after delivery.

Baby had jaundice - several billiruben tests after delivery.

Doctor checkups/shots at 3 days, 1 month, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months and 1 year.

Check out new parenting or pregnancy magazines from the library, and visit an obstetrician's office for flyers and free magazines. And for fun, read "Calley's Tally - an accounting of baby's first year", which is fun, but not to be used for your paper.

During pregnancy they do many test. The test for down syndrome, they test the heart, they test for illness and deformaties. After birth, you go for a 2 week check up and then they give the MMR shots, mumps, measels, rubella, which has shown that it is linked to autism. Just normal childhood vaccinations after that

During pregnancy, you will be tested for HCG,CBC,Ultrasound,Amniocentesis,HBAgs test,glucose tolerance test and internal examination . After birth if you are Rh positive, you will be given Rhogam.