anything good about the photography business?????

ive read alot of answers to aspiring photographers and most of the answers are really trying to scare the photographers trying to break into the business. im 18 and ive already started my business. im going to college for photography, but some of things ive heard are quite discouraging. can you tell the good points of being in the photography business? not all the negative stuff, ive already heard it all.

There are some who don't want fresh blood into the business, because of the advent of digital any Tom, Dick or Harry is opening a photography business. My suggestion, for what it's worth, is at your age, learn by working with a good professional as a practicum, or apprentice for a year or so, and see for yourself what is involved. College is great and all, but not a neccessary factor in this business. Experience will be your best teacher. Get under a pro for a while!

Photography has been and always will be my life personally, but I have met many through the years that shouldn't do it.

Unfortunately, you might have spoken to a few of those.

Dude, follow your dreams and keep a eye on what you want as an end result. Don't every deviate from the goal.. Sounds corny, but listen, I know and have been there.

Find your niche in photography, and go from there. But make sure what you have to offer sells. I have had to do alot of photography I didn't care for to make the bills, but trust me, it will pay off. You gotta love this business. And if you do, it WILL reward you.

Sorry for the soap box sermon, but that is a topic for young photographers that I gotta put my two cents in.

Hope that helps, and good luck to you.

Source(s): My own success and failings.

To be successful in the photography business, you must be two people. One, an artist using the technology of photography to create quality imagery. And two, a salesman and self promoter. These two rarely appear together. Many successful photographers have agents or partners to handle the business side. Once you have positioned yourself away from the business side, the real enjoyment happens.

Oh good lord!!! A whole 150$ a YEAR!? That's like all of 12$ a month ... oh wait ... it's actually tax deductible expense as a business expense so it's not REALLY 12$ a month if you think about it. You SERIOUSLY need to sit down with a business consultant so that they can explain to you how to operate a business ... here's a small tip: You pass your costs on to your clients ... It's a cost of doing business and so, when you create you pricing for your products and packages you take that cost into consideration. I spend 3200$ a year just to have a booth at 2 wedding shows, I update my physical portfolio about once a year (my style has changed quite a bit) at a cost of about 200$ a year, I spend 250$ a year on web hosting, I spend 30$ a year on my domain name, I spend 150$ a year on my accountant, I spend 35$ a year for Animoto, I spend 840$ a year on my internet access, I spend 80$ a year on business cards ... so on, so forth ... I think you get the idea ... If 150$ a year seem EXTREMELY expensive to you as a business expense then I bet it;s safe to assume: - you don't have any liability insurance, - you aren't paying an accountant to handle you taxes, - you don't have business cards, - you haven't made any physical portfolios, - you don't have equipment insurance, - you don't have backup gear, - you don't have PROPER gear, - you don't have a redundant backup system for your client files, - you haven't contacted a lawyer to review your client contracts - ... so on, so forth. There are 2 types of costs to a photography running a business: - Operating costs cellphone, internet access, office supplies, insurances, yearly memberships (Animoto, Smug Mug, Photography Associations ...) ... so on so forth. - Shoot / Product specific costs Cost of the final product for your client, travel, special gear rental, hair and make-up artists ... so on so forth. After you've covered those 2 costs, everything else is profit so figure out what those costs are and create your prices so that you HAVE a profit ... all expenses considered. I have a client that just emailed me last week ... she had bought digital files on a DVD from me along with a usage licence ... she damaged her disks before backing up the files. I;m sending her a free USB drive with the images ... why? not because I have to (my contractual oligations are over) but because i want a happy return client. How cab I do this? Cause I budgeted my costs approprietly to allow me bit of slack. Using free services puts your business at risk ... you have limited to no control over that service, most of them have advertising that could tarnish your businesses reputation. If you build your pricing around a free service and it disappears you current prices won't cover your expenses and you'll find yourself hemoraging money trying to meet your contractual obligations ... What you appear to have right now is not a business ... it's a hobby.

Hmmm,

You get to sleep in most days, except for saturdays...

(Yes, Ansel Adams started as a portrait and wedding photographer too, and did lots and lots of commercial work to pay for the ability to do all the cool stuff he did)

IF YOU'RE GOOD (or know the right people) you get to shoot hot chicks and or cars.

And sometimes you even get paid.

And when you do...you get to write off all your cameras etc. as a business expense....and half of meals and all travel when for business. That seriously rocks.

Ohhhh MAN, you just have to KNOW the answer to that question.

Otherwise go be an actuary and make killer money and take pics on the weekend.

Peace out.

Just like any art career, i.e. graphic design, arts & crafts...not only you've to know the art fundamental. After that, you've to learn from other professionals, research, practice and improve the skill. Most important, you've to be creative, build your own style and make your name out of it. When you get famous, hire a manager if you do not know how to run your business. So many “negative professional advice“ just because they don’t want you to take away their business. But if photography is what you like most, go ahead be successful.

Good Luck

I don't think that others are trying to scare people away. I think it's more of, depending on what photography career you are going into, there are specific challenges that must be understood and accepted.

If these people think they can handle it then, they should press on.

Ask Logan Alexander in Los Angeles. He knows a lot about the business...

Source(s): www.loganphotos.com

"These Tricks To Stunning Digital Photos Will Have Your Family And Friends Asking You "WHO took that shot?" When You Show Them Your Photos!"

"Don't Spend Another 6 Months Learning from Your Mistakes"!

Discover the Business Secrets of Professional Photography.

Secrets and Tips You MUST Know to be Successful in the Photography Business

Dear Friend,

Though the digital camera is one of the hottest selling gadgets on the market today, the technology can be intimidating and frustrating to first-time users. To new users, going from click to pictures with a digital camera can be overwhelming thanks to memory sticks, docking stations, computers, image editing software, printers, special papers, processing stations at the store, plus all the confusing terminology. These books gives readers a quick start guide to using a digital camera so they can read a few step-by-step pages and then go from picture to print in moments. Using everyday and easy-to-understand language, explains exposure, focus, lighting, file formats, file storage and organization, how to use Adobe Photoshop Elements and improve images, printers, specialty photo papers, and how to get your photos to the Web and email. After reading this book, even the most digitally challenged shutterbug will be able to produce high-quality digital photographs without hesitation.

All the Secrets to Wedding Photography that you need to know. Learn what pictures to take and when to take them. A wedding is a one-time shot. You can't redo the photography if you don't like the way it turned out.

When you photograph a wedding you want the wedding pictures to be the best they can be. You know that if you do a good job other people will come to you for their weddings.

You can have a Fun and Profitable Business.

It helps if you know the Secrets of Wedding Photography.

Learn Professional tips and techniques. Wedding photography is one of the most enjoyable ways to make a living there are.

You need to know what you are doing and you need a plan. Because...people get real emotional if they end up without wedding pictures. One Secret of the Wedding Photography business is that it grows or dies by word of mouth. If people like the photography they will praise you to others.

Here's a sample of what you'll get.

how to get the exposure correct by teaching the user how to evaluate scene and subject luminosities, how to relate this information to how the various metering modes work as well as how to read composite and separate channel histograms, and how to reference the evaluated luminosities to what is seen on the histogram, allowing the photographer to make the EV compensation as necessary to achieve consistently accurate exposures within 0.3 stops;

how to evaluate color temperatures in various situations to more accurately select either a preset or manual Kelvin temperature setting, and why the photographer benefits from accurate WB adjustment even when shooting RAW;

a discussion of various compositional techniques and how techniques which were primarily intended for specific sorts of subject presentations can be applied singly or in combination with other techniques to different types of photography, including a wide variety of examples;

examples and detailed discussion of various shooting techniques for several types of subject material, including the importance of anticipation and timing when shooting action, selecting attractive viewing angles, cropping for composition in the viewfinder, etc.

detailed discussions of workflow, including organizational methods, sorting and selection, processing and post-processing techniques, etc.

After reading this book, even the most digitally challenged shutterbug will be able to produce high-quality digital photographs without hesitation.

http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auction.aspx?itemid=1...

embark in the photography biz ONLY if you love photography...

else, it aint worth your time and effort man...