milly asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 1 decade ago

What is the price of gas average in canada, going threw british columbia going to Alaska?

I'm driving threw British Columbia going to Alaska , I believe gas is sold by the liter. If so how much is it per the liter or the gallon. Also is there some gas companies that are better than others, like there is in the US? Thank you for your answers they are very helpful.

• Steve
    Favorite Answer

I've driven the Alacan to Alaska before and I have important bits of advice. First, in the Yukon Territory (where you'll be driving) there are only two types of gas: unleaded and diesel. There is no octane rating. My Ford Explorer didn't like the unrated octane unleaded and misfired terribly on Yukon gas until I got to Alaska. It was bad because I was towing a trailer. I almost got stranded because of the gas and it was at every station. The only thing that fixed it was adding gas treatment (like STP anything that boosts octane will work). The gas is expensive but what are you going to do? Towns there are built around the fueling station. Some "towns" are only gas stations. Also important: go to a bookstore or go online and buy 'The Milepost'. It's the definitive guide to driving to Alaska. You'll be driving through every possible environment: desert, rain forest, mountains, etc and you need to be prepared to be stranded anywhere. Lastly, gas up at every town. The next fueling station may be hundreds of miles away. Don't miss a fueling station just because you have 1/3 of a tank. Stop by and gas up. And add the octane booster at every stop. I would recommend 10 units of octane booster for getting from Canada to Alaska.

Be prepared!! British Columbia is the most expensive province in Canada to buy gas. Remember too that us Canadians use the metric system unlike the U.S. that still uses the imperial system. So, when purchasing gas in Canada, the prices are quoted per litre, NOT gallon. In British Columbia, gasoline is in excess of $1.00 (Canadian) per litre. Also remember that our driving speeds and roadside distance signs are shown in kilometres, NOT miles. Happy travelling!

• CSF

Quite funny though, a couple years ago my American friend filled her friends car and was like "Omg that cost me $20." (In PA) I was laughing because over here $20 isn't much to spend for gas, may get you half a tank in a full sized car.

Anywho... I'm in Ontario and right now gas is $1.03 a litre. So out in BC I would say its probably around $1.05 or $1.10.

$1.10 converted to American is about $0.98. 1 litre = 0.264172051 US gallon. Say your car holds 50 litres, that's 13.2086026 US gallons. That's about $49 USD to fill up.

As for better gas companies.. everyone has their personal opinion. I usually stick to Petro Can or Ultramar. I've had problems with MacEwan's and Mr. Gas.

Have a safe trip!

You will probably be passing through Vancouver first? Well the most common gas stations you will find are: Shell, Esso (which is the Canadian version of Exxon), Chevron and Petro Canada--they are the three best/most popular gas stations. Many people consider the gas to be expensive--google it up.

4 litres = 1.0566882 US gallon

Depending on where you are in BC, prices can be more expensive than other places. I haven't had a year for a few year's so I can't help you in the choosing department.

The lower mainland has cheaper prices than the Interior, or on the Island such as: Chilliwack, Hope, Maple Ridge.

To my knowledge, the quality of gasoline does not vary from gas station to gas station, as this is a highly regulated business in Canada.

I noticed that GasBuddy will give you prices for Vancouver. As you proceed north you can expect prices to rise.

as of this morning, Feb. 2d, gasoline averaged contained in the vancouver section at 91c/litre. This previous week that is been as low as 86c/litre and has intense as 95c/litre. It merely relies upon on what cities you're vacationing by