Where are the electric cars?

Why is there not more electric cars available.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

-----

Electric cars are indeed here. Just a little hard to find, is all. Here is the newest electric vehicle for sale:

http://phoenixmotorcars.com/models/fleet.html

The Phoenix electric pickup truck - using new, advanced Altairnano batteries (based on research from MIT) - can:

-Travel up to 250 miles per charge

-Carry 5 passengers plus cargo at 95mph.

-Charges batteries in as little as TEN MINUTES.

-Has batteries that last 250,000 miles (never need replacement.)

it is a real car, being built right now for fleet use. PG&E is one of the customers. It's not alone either. There's the Tesla electric sports car:

http://www.teslamotors.com

The Tesla can out-accelerate a Ferrari, and does nearly 250 miles per charge.

And if you want to get your 'feet wet' in electric vehicles, here's how to find an EV for as little as $5000:

http://www.squidoo.com/cheap-electric-car

There are also some amazing deals on EVs that show up on eBay (I bought mine there for only $2000.)

Any EV can be solar powered, with the addition of a small solar panel for charging (driving for FREE is fun!)

Also check out the above link for info on how cheap it is to drive on electricity (electricity costs about a penny per mile.)

EVs pollute less, even if powerplants burn dirty fuel, thanks to the greatly improved efficiency of electric motors, power generation, and distribution. Also at the above site is a link to several well-to-wheels studies show how much less pollution EVs create over their lifetimes.

-----------

Source(s): I'm an electric car owner. Here's the EV lifetime pollution study: http://sherryboschert.com/Downloads/Emissions%5B9%...
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

There are no electric car manufacturers whom build it correctly. The equation is this say for instance you have a 36 volt motorcycle. 24 of those volts are split off by a reed switch (a transistor), the other 12 volts act as a feed for the ac. But wait, the high voltage will burn out the transistor, this is prevented via a coil system from the posi to the neg of the battery, a transformer basically with a simple inducing feed inbetween. Transformers are found in all 120 volt systems, not in electric cars though. Which is why the human race hasn't achieved emv or electromagnetic function, cus they don't know how to parallel the batteries correctly.

• 7 years ago

OK, anything that has an extension cord hanging out of it is just a pure joke. You can pull up and swap the battery in under 3 seconds. My 6 year old's car we bought at Walmart for 200 bucks refuels faster than the Tesla. He says daddy swap the battery and in 3 seconds its done... Racks of already charged batteries are waiting at the fueling station. This process is called battery exchange and has been around since the 1960s.

Every time I pass the crowds of people at the mall laughing at the big orange cord hanging out of that thing I think to myself. Some one has way to much money and way to little brains. It is 2013 guys...Really? That is the best America has to offer?

• J.R.
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Take an Economics class. Learn about the law of supply and demand. No one is going to invest capitol in a manufacturing process unless there are enough people to buy their product so that they can make a profit.

There just aren't enough people that want, or can afford, an electric car. If you want one, do an online search on how to convert your current vehicle to electric. You could likely do it for much less than the price of a new car.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

mainly because they have no true incentive to

produce them like the regular cars.

Don't be fooled by the performance hype

there are better batteries and stronger motors out

that can do the job as well as energy cells that can

keep the batteries charged self contained.

let gasoline prices keep creeping upward that will help

but I suppose some company will invent some

super fake fuel to replace gasoline

such as making alcohol based fuel

to delay the electric car even more

yet it will happen

• 6 years ago

Watch the documentary films: "Who Killed the Electric Car" and "The Revenge of the Electric Car" and you will find some compelling answers to why there are not more electric cars.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

For now, it makes no sense to build them. It actually costs more, (and creates more pollution) to build the electrical components of an electric vehicle than it would to simply purchase and drive a Hummer H2 for for four years. So if you're looking to go green, electric (or even, to some degree, hybrid) is moving in the wrong direction. Have faith -- engineering and chemical breakthroughs are coming everyday so we may yet see electric/hydrogen/bio-fuel cars produced on a large scale.

• 4 years ago

i don't think gasoline autos will ever get replaced by utilising electric autos. electric merely has to many negatives (Batteries, variety, fee, fee down time, nevertheless produces distinctive CO2, etc.). If gasoline and diesel are replaced, i've got self assurance it is going to likely be with organic gasoline, Hydrogen, or another new technologies.

• 5 years ago

Because it cost you more i.e cost/km. simple. Nowadays rate for electricity is $0.10 - 0.15/unit.

purchase cost will be the same as conventional auto.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They're hooked up to battery chargers throughout the world

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.