Are there alternatives to schooling for kids with ADHD other than public schools?

I live in Charlotte, NC and CMS school is horrible. He is failing miserably and I am beginning to feel that his teachers are starting to bail on him. We have reached a point that we want other alternatives i.e. private school. home schooling, etc... Although we are not poor we cannot afford the cost of tuition. I know that we could apply for scholarships but know that the chance of receiving one would be slim to none. Is there other avenues that I look into for assistance. I have found that I can apply for medicaid for him with his ADHD as a disability but am not sure if this is true. Even though I know that our financial is above there standards. Thank you for your help....

4 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer


    Yes! You are entitled to free help by your school district no matter where you live. If your child has been diagnosed with ADHD he is entitled to be educated under the No Child Left Behind Laws and IDEA

    . ADHD usually is not considered a special ed problem or Learning Disability, however. Most children can get in under Special Ed entitlements by being declared other "health impaired". The two web sites and contacts below should be able to help--

    State Department of Education: Special Education

    Mary Watson, Director

    Exceptional Children Division

    Department of Public Instruction

    6356 Mail Service Center

    Raleigh, NC 27699-6356

    (919) 807-3969/3971



    State Coordinator for NCLB (No Child Left Behind)

    Lynn Warren, Title 1 Director

    North Carolina Department of Public Instruction

    6351 Mail Service Center

    Raleigh, NC 27699-6351

    (919) 807-3957



    Attention Deficit Disorder

    To identify an ADD group in your state or locality, contact either:

    Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD)

    8181 Professional Place, Suite 150

    Landover, MD 20785

    (301) 306-7070

    (800) 233-4050 (Voice mail to request information packet)


    Attention Deficit Disorder Association (ADDA)

    P.O. Box 543

    Pottstown, PA 19464-0543

    (484) 945-2101


    Good luck:) !

    Source(s): retired teacher
  • 1 decade ago

    Dear Toni,

    Gifted children like your son do not fit in well with the traditional public school approach to education. I say gifted because I believe that many children diagnosed with ADHD are simply sensitive, highly intelligent children who are under challenged and frustrated.

    If the school is under title 1, you have the choice to opt for a charter school. That's a good thing.

    There are also Magnet programs offered in your area. See link below.

    Home schooling is a good idea because you can monitor your son's nutrition better. Many symptoms of classroom ADHD result from from the crappy "fast-food" styled foods served in school cafeterias. Home schooling also allows the learning curriculum to be tailored to his interests. You can also supplement the home school learning experience with tutors like an art teacher or piano instructor, paleontologist, web programmer whatever. Maybe join a children's theater or dance troope.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You missed an option in your questions. Try special ed schools for ADHD kids.

  • M C
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    Yes... but it depends on the school district and the state where you reside. Check with surrounding school districts and see if they offer an alternative school if your home school does not have such available. Schools outside the district in which you reside ofter allow students into their district for a fee... much less than what private schools charge.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.