Is the Confederate Flag offensive?

Is anyone offended when they see a shirt, bumper sticker, poster, etc. showing the Confederate flag? Does it still carry the same stigma as it did during the Civil war?

Favorite Answer

I was born and raised in Texas and I am black. I see the Confederate flag often and it offends me...ALOT! It's not the actual flag (it's just fabric), but it's what the flag represents. Many people (especially southerners) like to justify the flag by stating that it represents the unification of the southern states during the civil war. But it holds a deeper stigma. Many African Americans view the flag as having advocated inequality, injustice, hate, and bigotry towards blacks (and any others who supported the constitutional stance that, "...all men are created equal..."). I believe this stigma stems from the south's long history of advocating these ideas. I believe that if racism had have ended when slavery did, the stigma associated with the Confederate flag would be no more. However, since racism still exists today, so too will the stigma.

• L J

Let's clarify that you are speaking of the Confederate battle flag. That is not the same flag that flew over Montgomery, Alabama. The Confederacy had several flags. As a Southerner, with ancestors who fought in, and lived through the civil war and reconstruction, I get a little annoyed that the symbol is now associated with rednecks, bigotry and ignorance. The flag was to represent unified states standing up to a government that no longer represented them; no differently than the original colonies. It's all perspective. History is not always pretty.

I'm truly a southerner, born & raised in Louisiana. No, I'm not offended by the confederate flag because I see it as representing the South.

The confederate flag should not be a racial thing considering that there were black men who carried this flag & fought for the south.

The south is a completely different culture, we're like our own little country. We'll keep our flags

Why should anyone be offended by the Confederate flag? I can understand being offended by small-minded people, or even by historical incidents that have affected their lives, but the flag is just a symbol, and a part of our nation's history. I think it's often displayed as a symbol of rebellion (and sometimes used to piss us Yankees off), but there are so many REAL things that we SHOULD be offended by . . . we just need to prioritize.

It would depend on your life experience. If you are from the south it is a symbol of states' rights and heritage. If you are African-American it would symbolize slavery and oppression. There are some in the South, and I suppose everywere, who won't get over racism. Just this week I heard someone say that schools shouldn't have been desegragated. But, on the other hand, I don't think people should dwell in victim mode.

I know, I'm rambling. For me, the Confederate flag is a sign of archaic thinking, a refusal to move on with life.

The confederate flag is flying, and it's a real good indication of what is to come, so get ready civil war is on it's way.

Nope. It was the flag of the Confederate States of America. I don't have any feeling for it. If you want to fly it, go right ahead.

oh my GOD. no. i have it hanging in my room. i dont hate black ppl i dont approve of slavery. the kkk and aryan nation have ruined it for everyone. plenty of black ppl fought in the civil war of their own free will. it does not promote slavery only to those who are morons. to most southern ppl its a symbol of their heritage(did i spell that right?) im so tired of ppl being offended by it thats just well...stupid. especially ppl who live in the south dont like it? **** off b/c ppl have the right to fly it. as far as i know we are still free and if somebody can fly a mexican flag then we can fly ours. the american flag means alot less to me than some of the other flags out their. if i had my choice we'd still be flying the betsy ross. its just a symbol of the south its not a swastika. it never ment slavery and thats not what the war was about but only southern ppl seem to know that. it was a fight for freedom and indepence of the south not slaves. the north still had some slaves during the war.so everybody just get over it PLEASE.

I find it offensive and I live in the South. I am also of (only) white descent. But I still find it offensive and I think that people who proudly display it have some racist issues to deal with. I think it's a way for people who are cowardly about being racist to say "It's history" and display it. It's like a rainbow flag on a gay person's car. I think it's a symbol to other racists.

Sorry, that's just the way I feel about it. It should be left in the museums and history books.

When the south suceeded, it elected it's own president, created their own constitution, and came up with a flag to symbolize their beliefs. The constitution explicitly declares that..."our new government is based on the truth that the ***** is not equal to the white man." In essence, in the south the ***** will know their place. If I were black I would be highly offended. The flag is heritage and hate.