Mobile texts harm written language?

DUBLIN (Reuters) - The rising popularity of text messaging on mobile phones poses a threat to writing standards among Irish schoolchildren, an education commission says.

The frequency of errors in grammar and punctuation has become a serious concern, the State Examination Commission said in a report after reviewing last year's exam performance by 15-year-olds.

"The emergence of the mobile phone and the rise of text messaging as a popular means of communication would appear to have impacted on standards of writing as evidenced in the responses of candidates," the report said, according to Wednesday's Irish Times.

"Text messaging, with its use of phonetic spelling and little or no punctuation, seems to pose a threat to traditional conventions in writing."

The report laments that, in many cases, candidates seemed "unduly reliant on short sentences, simple tenses and a limited vocabulary.

Favorite Answer

I agree. I'm a teacher in Morocco and I frequently have students (who love chatting on MSN in their new English) write "u're" or "wat?" or "wanna" on papers or homework.

I actually had a student tell me that her native Moroccan English teacher at middle school had told her it was okay to write "gonna" and "wanna."

• J9

They don't 'harm' language ..... they've just created a new 'dialect'.