fshtake asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Are bubbles important for fish tanks ?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Bubbles produced through airstone agitates the water to create oxygen, and also has an excellent ornamental value.

Air stones provide very fine air bubbles, much finer than those released from a piece of tubing attached to a pump.

For the aquarium keeper this means more oxygen in the water. Oxygen absorption is improved by the large surface area of the smaller bubbles.

Adequate oxygen can increase the amount of fish that your aquarium can hold.

The fine bubbles are also pleasing to the viewer. Aesthetic satisfaction can be created using ring shaped air stones to form round bubble walls. These and other air stones can be buried in the aquarium gravel.

Small air stones are used in under gravel and box filter uplifts to increase water flow. They will improve the efficiency of such devices when compared with using no air stone.

Turbulence created by an air stone can aid water circulation. If your current filter is not moving enough water then the air bubbles produced by an air stone can help solve the problem. If there is a spot in your aquarium which seems to collect sediments, place an air stone in that position. The increased flow will help to disperse the particles back into the water where they may be removed by the filter.

Source(s): Fishfanatic since 1999
  • 1 decade ago

Bubbles do nothing for increasing the oxygen in the water of your tank. They just float thru the water and burst on the surface. They are not absorbed at all into the water. As Danielle Z stated you need to have some sort of movement against air to add oxygen to the water.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think the idea behind having bubbles in the tank is to break the surface tension and move the surface of the water, the bubbles them selves dont acctually add oxygen to the water but by moving the water and breaking the surface this allows oxygen to mix with the water

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Simple lay-man term: The air stones are to breakdown the air in the water so that fishes can have better breathing in the water.

Thus, it's always better to have finer air bubbles than those with big bubbles. But you need to strike a balance of having more bubbles but not creating too strong a ripple to daze the fishes.

Cheers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

bubbles agitate the aquarium water's surface, causing oxygen to diffuse into the water. It also makes co2 in the water float out of the water.

• 1 decade ago

I fyou mean bubbles as in an airstone, no they do nothing to add dissolved oxygen to the tank.

Dissolved oxygen which fish breath only enters the water by way of water moving against air. Filters rippling over the top of the water, waterfalls, fountains, powerheads waves etc.

Air bubbles do just what you see, they rise to the surface and eventually pop creating very little to no movement there fore create no dissolved oxygen into the tank.

Lv 4
    1 decade ago

No

All you have to do is agitate the surface of the water to Oxygenate it.

Most hang on back filters do a great job of this.

• 1 decade ago

Well, it really helps the ogygen level in the tank. so i would definitely have bubbles.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

bubbles are oxygen in the water so it is very very important in the life of the fishes

• 1 decade ago

Very important. No matter what system I get, I always add more bubbles not only for air but circulation of water.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.