Sheyna asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

I can't find the thesis to The Autobiography of Malcolm X? EMERGENCY - IT WOULD REALLY HELP ME!?

Ok. I'm doing a History project. We can choose any book. And, I chose - The Autobiography of Malcolm X. We weren't specifically required to find the thesis - but it would really help me with my project... So, no! You guys are doing my homework for me...

I've read a couple of chapters but I don't know what the thesis is. IF you've read the book would you please tell me! ... Page # would help!

Favorite Answer

"The Autobiography of Malcolm X (ISBN 0-345-35068-5) was written by Alex Haley between 1964 and 1965, based on interviews conducted shortly before Malcolm X's death (and with an epilogue for after it), and was published in 1965. The book was named by Time magazine as one of the five most important nonfiction books of the 20th century.

The screenplay for the 1992 Spike Lee film Malcolm X was adapted from The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

The book describes Malcolm X's upbringing in Michigan, his maturation to adulthood in Boston and New York, his time in prison, his conversion to Islam, his ministry, his travels to Africa and to Mecca, and his subsequent career and eventual assassination at the Audubon Ballroom near 166th Street and Broadway in New York City. The book contains a great deal of substantial thought that concerns African-American existence.

The emotional timbre of the book could be described as a crystal-clear elucidation of some very complicated philosophies originating from the unpleasant, tragic life experience of Malcolm X as a young man in Michigan.

Haley stated in the documentary Eyes on the Prize that it was difficult to write the autobiography, as Malcolm X was quite averse to talking about himself, preferring to talk about the Nation of Islam.

However, the book has been criticized by some scholars for possibly being factually inaccurate or misleading in certain parts. In addition, members of Malcom X's family and the Nation of Islam have accused author Alex Haley of changing or fictionalizing parts of the story.

In fact, in 2005 historian Manning Marable claimed that Haley worked with the FBI while writing the book with Malcolm X. He also talked about the existence of three unpublished chapters of the book."

Malcolm X Thesis

Don't you think that Malcom X had enough things to worry about in his life, that you expect him to have lived it such that a high schooler could draw a simplistic "thesis" from it? If you want the real turning point in Malcolm X's life, according to the book, it was when he went on pilgrimage. It was when he realized that what he had been taught as a black Muslim, that white people were evil, was wrong. That white people weren't racially, or genetically bad, it was American white culture which was poisonous.