tata51193 asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

can guinea pigs eat lamb?

i got this list off the web that says some stuff that gp can eat and one of them is lamb.....i though that gp were herbavores. plz help me:)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Guinea pigs should never be fed any kind of meat. The only animal product appropriate for guinea pigs is the milk guinea pig mothers produce to feed their babies.

I wonder if the person who wrote that lamb was a suitable food for guinea pigs was thinking of lambstail, which is a plant also known as winterfat, white sage, winter-sage, feather-sage, and sweet sage. According to the United States Department of Agriculture, "[Lambstail] is considered very good browse for wildlife and is extensively utilized by rodents, rabbits, antelope, deer, elk, and bighorn sheep."

As a city dweller, I've never seen lambstail and don't know for sure whether it's appropriate food for guinea pgis, but it would almost certainly be better for them than a hunk of meat! You're correct in your understanding that guinea pigs are herbivores.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'd be very surprised if they did eat Lamb, as you said they are herbavores.

Why anyone would buy Lamb and feed it to a guinea pig I do not know, I'd stick with the usual diet if I were you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, guinea pigs should definitely not be fed lamb, they are herbavores....although I did feed my guinea a prawn cocktail flavour crisp once and she seemed to like it lol.

HTH : )

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Don't feed a guinea pig a hunk of lamb because they're vegetarians. I'd stick with a calcium rich diet with pellets, water, hay, and veggies. Yum!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Thats a scary image.... Guinea pigs running around attacking and eating sheep. arrrrrrrrrrrgh. Thats the last time i go walking on the moors. :)

Seriously, Guinea pigs are vegetarian. I would not recommend sustaining their diet with meat.

• 1 decade ago

No gp only eat vegies no maet once so ever maet can be to them.Hope this helps

Good Luck

• 1 decade ago

Absolutely not!!! Guinea pigs are strictly vegetarian. They cannot digest meat!!!

Source(s): 3 piglets of my own
  • 1 decade ago

I wouldn't feed them lamb. Isn't that how Mad Cow Disease got started in the UK?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.