JOE
JOE asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesSubaru · 1 decade ago

Subaru owners and car enthusiasts, How reliable are Subaru's???

Is it a good idea to get a used Subaru?

Favorite Answer

I bought a used 95 Impreza about 2 years back for about $2000 USD. It had 173,000 miles on it when I bought it. It's at 195,500 and I still drive it to work every day. I have no doubt that it'll hit 200,000 without a major problem, but I do see minor problems come up from time to time.

Reliable Subaru

Are Subarus Reliable

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is it a good idea to get a used Subaru?

Source(s): subaru owners car enthusiasts reliable subaru 39 s: https://tr.im/BvR0m
  • Bonnie

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/PZpyQ

Here's where Subaru has ranked among car brands in a number of reliability surveys. Most of these surveys included 30-35 brands total. --1st (Automarxx, Germany, 2005) --1st (Consumer Reports, 2004) --2nd (Automarxx, Germany, 2003) --3rd (Which? Magazine, UK, 2007) --4th (Choice, Australia, 2001) --5th (Consumer Reports, 2005) --6th (Consumer Reports, 2006) --6th (Top Gear, UK, 2006) --6th (Top Gear, UK, 2007) --6th (Warranty Direct, UK, 2007) In other words, they are consistently above average and their reputation for reliability is well-deserved. Subaru, Honda and Toyota are the three most consistently reliable brands in reliability surveys I've come across. I will say from personal experience that not all general mechanics are familiar with the design of Subarus. Parts aren't all that expensive, but they are more expensive than for larger "bread and butter" brands. I will also say that, with a good set of winter tires, you really will not believe what a Subaru can do in the snow. They may not be stylish to some, but in the winter they're the best-looking cars on the road.

OH BOY! A SUBARU QUESTION!

My very first car was a 1991 Subaru Legacy L station wagon. I bought it in 1999. To this day I have never had a car so rugged or fun to drive.

The engine that Subaru uses is a "boxer" type horizontally opposed engine. That means that the pistons fire to the sides from the center of the engine block, creating better engine response and improved horsepower. Porsche is the only other automaker that uses this technology that I know of.

Most (maybe all) Subaru cars have front and back McPherson struts. This is good.

Another very nice thing is the gearbox on a manual transmission subaru. They use racing gear ratios.

Of course, all Subaru cars have AWD. This is most noticeable when driving on a slippery surface. It causes the car to maneuver more predictably. I would drive my car very fast on dirt trails, often losing grip of the road. But I always knew how my car was going to behave in a crunch! I found the best thing to do when in that situation was to let off the wheel just a tad, slap it in third gear, and punch it.

As I mentioned I used mine off-road a lot. Many times I found myself in the company of 4X4 owners who wondered how I drove my car up the same trail they did. The ground clearance for my Subaru was about the same as a Ford Explorer.

My Subaru (4 cyl stock) would push 140 mph. They have an excellent 'feel' and response. Now comes the bad part.

All of that heavy driving caused some parts to wear out! The Subaru I was explaining had (probably still runs) over 220,000 miles on it. The engine started on the first crank, even if it was -20 degrees outside. It was quiet and fast, even as old as it was. But it leaked oil, I would have to put about a quart in it between oil changes.

The water cooler went out, causing the engine to overheat in a major way. The mechanic told me my engine was shot, the next day when the cooler was replaced it started right up -first crank!

All 4 McPherson struts went out, but I blame that on myself

I had to buy a new crankshaft (case maybe? idk) because my transmission went out one day. I can't blame it, it survived both me and my brother learning to drive a stick.

I really believe that Subaru cars are made for shorter trips more than driving across the country. Everything about them is fun, and they are sooo predictable when you lose traction.

There are 2 things I know about my experience with my Subaru:

1. You can't kill that engine...it's possessed. Seriously. After driving like that every day, and 220,000+ it was definitely one of the strongest points of the car.

2. That was my baby.

As with any make, the shape of the specific vehicle you're buying determines whether or not it'll be worth your money. Subarus overall are very reliable, and even though you didn't mention what type of used Subaru you were thinking about, I'd definitely recommend one. Of course, I drive two and will probably have a third here shortly =)

I know quite a few people who own subaru's and Yes its true they are very relaible and the engines last forever that's why you still see lots of Impreza WRX's around today

I was going to buy a 2006 subaru Impreza WRX but the

Insurance is way too expensive AUS$7000 a year and I'm only 18

• ?

They are very reliable, well engineered, great handling and one of the best AWD systems. Yes they are worth buying. Subaru's are great at holding their value so used is a good way to save some money but it all depends on the year and model and how it was maintained

Source(s): Former Subaru Service adviser and I have owned Subarus for over 21 years, great car

For the past 14 years I have had at least one Subaru. I currently have a Baja and a Tribeca. My son has an Outback, my father has a Baja, and my Mother in Law has an Outback. I have had many different makes of vehicles, and have never been disappointed in the quality and reliability of Subarus. Have the normal maintenance performed (or do it yourself), and you will be driving a Subaru for many trouble-free years.