gary w
Lv 4
gary w asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 decade ago

building a free standing carport.?

what is the best way to anchor 6x6 treated post on a 22x22 carport with a hip roof with 8/12 shingle roof system? can it be done without setting posts in concrete in hurricane zone?

Update:

it is going to be an all hip roof, don. the reason for 8/12, the customer wants it to match roof pitch on house. my concern is; without setting posts in concrete, whats to stop high wind from blowing it down? there will be 7 posts; 3 left, right and back with an open front. lbl headder with 2x12 sides and rear(doubled of course). i justdont like the idea of setting treated posts in concrete. it doesnt last long enough.

Update 2:

what if the tree blows over pauline?

Update 3:

i want to thank everyone that took the time to answer this, they were all helpful in their own right, but i have to give it to nick. i dont think i'll be able to use his suggestion, but im going to take it to the homeowner. again, thanks all.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If it werent for that 8/12 all hipped roof I would lend some help besides the fact that it is free standing. That is going to be one crazy looking carport. Its going to look like a pavilion with a really large, bad hat on it. The only advice I'll give is to crossbrace between your 6x6 uprights and the lvl beams that will be necessary to hold this behemuth up.

Source(s): general contractor
    • Login to reply the answers
  • datta
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Free Standing Carport

• 4 years ago

Source(s): The #1 Woodworking Resource : http://WoodworkingPlans.siopu.com/?KWji
  • Don
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

This thing is going to be huge! Of course you are going to need some concrete. How many posts are you setting? Four six by six posts will not support a building of that size. You would need huge beams, LBL probably, to make that span. In a hurricane zone, (I live in New Orleans), you can reduce the wind load by building an all hip roof. Why 8/12? This thing is going to be 18 feet tall, with a low ceiling height.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

If you can get at the top of the concrete block wall to rest the rafters of the carport roof on that wall, you'll save some money on materials. Just nail the rafters to the existing ones. You'll need to cut a slot in the roof sheathing to get the angle you need to have it high enough on the other side. If you are going with a gravel surface inside the carport to keep costs down, just sink some 4x4 posts below the frost line and fill the hole around the 4x4 with concrete. Set the posts on some gravel in the bottom of the hole and brace them plumb until the concrete sets up. I mix it with water right in the hole, then let it sit a while and come back and make it slope away from the post before it hardens completely. then tie the posts together with your framing lumber, big enough to carry the weight of the roof. Use the inexpensive hanger hardware you can get at a lumber yard to provide some extra strength to the set up, especially if you live in tornado or hurricane country

• 1 decade ago

You can build this without setting your posts in concrete. I would double check with your code enforcement office about using drilled in anchors. My experience has been to use J or L anchors embedded into the columns/footings once poured. Depending on your zoning, your footing may need to be anchored to your column with some type of anchor, in addition to the anchor you use in your column for your base/stand-off plate. To additionally resist up-lift, I run 4 straps up my posts and over my LVL. 2 up the front and over, then two up the back and over, starting at least 8 inches down from the top of the post. I have also been required to use G8 bolts/lock nuts and plates to bind the posts/beams. It just depends on the zone requirements. I just strongly urge you to not drill your anchors, but to embed them into the column when you're pouring. Happy building.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

In the event that you are searching for woodworking plans you can discover a huge number of woodworking plans here:

http://woodworking.toptips.org

It's the perfect result in the event that you are simply starting with woodworking and also in case that you have already experience with it.

You can discover a ton of woodworking arrangements and you will have the capacity to deal with the projects with a CAD/DWG software. It permits you to alter the projects and to alter the arragements.if you are a beginner this is a great approach to start. It's the best approach to woodworking; and on the off chance that you already have experience you will discover a considerable measure of plans and inspirations to improve your capabilities with woodwork.

• 1 decade ago

yes, THEY have some anchors that can be drilled into the concrete.Don't know where you live in Georgia the post have to be setting on brackets or a way to keep them off the concrete.Might get some cables and some Mobile home Tye downs they seem like they might get you there.Got to secure them someway L brackets.

• 4 years ago

Your greatest choice if you want to discover landscaping is this https://tr.im/MKhUT the landscaping guide from Ideas 4 Landscaping.

This guidebook is a total landscaping resource with comprehensive diagrams , total with shade pictures and examples on several types of landscaping patterns. It is every thing you'll need to have to get start out in creating the perfect outside living experience for you and your family with gardens , pools ,decks , pathways ,sheds , gazebos , hedges , driveways , waterfalls , ponds , patios and walkways

There are numerous types obtainable for every types of landscape , so you have some selection to select from.

Ideas 4 Landscaping is the best and most valuable guidebook which no other resource can provide for figuring out your dilemma simply because it supplies you complete specifics with models in front of you. So , what can be the other ideal way one you are obtaining entry to versions. no other way is ideal.

• 1 decade ago

you need to check with your local zoning office, they will answer this correctly. i would think that you could fasten a metal anchor to the concrete then attach the post to the anchor, but do check to make sure

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.