Building a free standing carport.?

what is the best way to anchor 6x6 treated post on a 22x22 carport with a hip roof with 8/12 shingle roof system? can it be done without setting posts in concrete in hurricane zone?
Update: it is going to be an all hip roof, don. the reason for 8/12, the customer wants it to match roof pitch on house. my concern is; without setting posts in concrete, whats to stop high wind from blowing it down? there will be 7 posts; 3 left, right and back with an open front. lbl headder with 2x12 sides and... show more it is going to be an all hip roof, don. the reason for 8/12, the customer wants it to match roof pitch on house. my concern is; without setting posts in concrete, whats to stop high wind from blowing it down? there will be 7 posts; 3 left, right and back with an open front. lbl headder with 2x12 sides and rear(doubled of course). i justdont like the idea of setting treated posts in concrete. it doesnt last long enough.
Update 2: what if the tree blows over pauline?
Update 3: i want to thank everyone that took the time to answer this, they were all helpful in their own right, but i have to give it to nick. i dont think i'll be able to use his suggestion, but im going to take it to the homeowner. again, thanks all.
11 answers 11