Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Was king Arthur female?

I just heard some rumors and they seemed rational so i'd like to ask u 2...

Does anyone know about what king Arthur really was?

Update:

I just heard some rumors and they seemed rational so i'd like to ask u 2...

Does anyone know about what king Arthur really was?

Edit:About called king instead of king I heard that women were not supposed to have such power.

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Probably, Merlin made him pull the "sword" out of the "stone". Knaw what i'm saying.

• schulz
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Was King Arthur A Woman

• 5 years ago

King Arthur was a fictional character based off of a woman name Arturia. So, yes. In a technical sense, King Arthur was a woman.

• 1 decade ago

Regardless of gender, King Arthur is a myth. He never existed, at least not in the context of popular culture: chivalric Knights of the Round Table, Excalibur, Merlin, Guinevere, the Holy Grail, etc. It just never happened that way, if "it" happened at all.

The best historical (as opposed to literary or legendary) THEORY is that there may - MAY - have been a Romano-Briton warlord who (briefly) united a significant portion of Britain in the 5th and 6th centuries A.D. What evidence there is suggests that the "Arthurian" kingdom (although most likely not a true "kingdom" at all) included either Wales, Cornwall and the West Country, on the one hand, or northern England and southern Scotland, on the other.

The purpose of this (supposed) unification was military and defensive in nature. In 410 A.D., Western Roman Empire, which was in its death throes, formally abandoned its province of Britannia, which it had held (with varying degrees of success) for almost 400 years. As a practical matter, Roman power in Britain had been declining for decades, and practically all Roman troops had left the province by 407.

Into this power vacuum stepped Germanic (mostly Angles, Saxons and Jutes from the northern Rhine River valley) invader-colonists, whom the remaining Romano-Britons resisted by force of arms. This is the backdrop, and the justification, for the possibility that the Arthurian legends are based in historical fact.

Regardless, Britain in the post-Empire period was a dangerous, chaotic, politically-fragmented place, and as a result, there is little historical evidence generally, and almost none at all concerning "Arthur" specifically.

Alternatively, "Arthur" may have been purely fictional, without even a grain of historical truth. His name, along with several other names in the popular Arthurian tradition, are etymologically similar to names from Welsh-Celtic mythology.

To answer your question, though, there is absolutely no reliable historical evidence for the supposition that "King Arthur" (assuming such existed) was a woman.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

No king Arthur is a guy because in the movie Avalon high the made a girl, king Arthur to grab the watcher's attention.

• 6 years ago

There was never a character with a more feminine view of the world, and in fact, Owein in 'the dream of.." is very much the warrior to Arthur's more civilized attitude and more feminine attributes. They seem like a couple. And it is written like a satire, leading me to believe that there was a Queen during this time who wrote, whether prophecies or not they certainly were...clever. Arthur avoids all confrontation, although whatever Queen wrote this certainly didn't.

Source(s): Mabinogion
  • 6 years ago

King author could have been either male or female, in the story it is easy to believe with the right facts that she/he could be either gender.

One would be that She married some lady so that her kingdom wouldn t be suspicious of her being a female,

but alternatively it could be that he needed to show his kingdom that he was powerful and could be their king.

I beleive that She was female because nowhere does it every say she is a male, and all the facts align that it could be a female, but hiding in order to become king, because after she pulled the sword she knew she had to be king, so merlin made her into a guy. alternatively she never had a chance to be a girl, so it wasnt that hard to become a guy anyway

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axs60

Joanna, sorry to be the one to tell you but King Arthur is a FICTIONAL character. But if you want the answer on a spiritual level, then yes, certainly! A soul in a male body can return in whatever sex he/she/it chooses. Most folks prefer one sex for a certain length of time but we all experience both sexes -it is something that we all need to go through in our journey of spiritual unfoldment and growth. Some souls are focused on one sex but are so eager to return that they choose the opposite sex and many times exhibit characteristics of the wrong sex. This is the reason that there are effeminate gay men and masculine women. Now supposing King Arthur came back as a woman, SHE most likely would have no memory of being King Arthur. It's called the "veil of forgetfulness" and its' purpose is to allow us new experiences and sometimes re-doing a previous "test" until we get it right! If we remembered, it wouldn't be a test ! However, many children have memories of their previous life but it fades as they grow older like at age 12 or so. Few adults remember but if you choose a spiritual path, you can be allowed to glimpse IT, or other lives. This can help you understand the reasons why you feel certain ways or why certain things are happening to you! Karma! Although I am a heterosexual male, I was a woman in my previous life and connected to my existing family. We generally keep re-incarnating with a certain group of souls. To work off Karma and because we love them! Life on earth is going very fast so most souls come back very soon after their passing to take advantage of it. OK -enough for now. -Best Wishes.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. King is male, if Arthur was a female, she would have be called Queen Arthur. Not unknown to have Queens lead territories in olden days.

Historical speaking, Arthur was a male.

• Pumken
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It isn't known for sure that King Arthur was a myth, a conglomerate of people, or a real king whose exploits were made grandeous by stories told and re-told.

One thing all agree on is that he was a man. For "everything you ever wanted to know" about King Arthur visit this website http://www.britannia.com/history/h12.html

• 4 years ago

Yes King Arthur was a female it is based off a woman named Arturia and in the story only men were allowed to pull the sword because men were seen as those with power and should be kings, but knowing she had the strength she dressed as a boy hiding her hair and pulled the sword out. And lived as a man in peoples presence and as a king at war. I dunno I the story is true but he was a woman and it is based off a woman as well

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.