Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Running out of meal ideas??

we are a family with adults and we are running out of meal ideas... got any? or what do you or your family eat? stuff that doesn't have pork

Best Answer

My family likes beef stroganoff, chicken and lentils, split pea soup... I go to www.allrecipes.com for recipe ideas. On this site you can do a recipe search by ingredients that you have on hand. Each recipe has ratings and reviews from other users who have tried the recipe. Check it out for some great recipe ideas!!

I have the same problem.. I just came up with this meal because I was sick of Meat.

Me and my Husband love it.

Box noodles I used linguini (cook it as directed)

In another skillet -

put in couple tablespoons of olive oil

sugar snap peas

mushrooms

broccoli

(u can use whatever vegetables u like)

add worshire sauce and soy sauce

pepper and oragano (to taste)

Then when that is close to being done push to once side of the pan and add shrimp (precooked tail off) throw some butter on it let it heat up a bit to where the butter melts on top of the shrimp then mix all together.. Then serve over the noodles.. It is very good!... Doesn't really matter what vegetables u use or if u add shrimp.. U can really make it your own..

I also like to do a couple different things with my chicken breasts (boneless).

Put it in a baking dish and cover with either 2 cans of mushroom soup or u can cover with broccoli cheese soup. bake on 350 for about 30 min.

U can also pound out some chicken breasts and cut it then stuff it with fresh broccoli and cheese or stuff with bacon and ham and cheese. Same temp and time..

I like fettacini except I cheat I buy the allready made sauce get some noodles and I add cubed up chicken that I cooked . I also buy a bag of Frozen vegetables that have cheese in it. I microwave that then add it to the fettacini and serve... perty good.~

Stuffed green peppers are good...

My husband makes a dish that is easy

He just adds Head of cabbage cut up

bacon , salt , pepper, Cubed bites of your favorite pre cooked sausage to a pot with a few tablespoons of olive oil.. Lets it cook up. . and serves it over Egg noodles Doesn't take a long time either.. Very good.. and easy....

If u want some really good meal Ideas I like http://www.kraftfoods.com they have some good recipes.. Oh and They have a great appetizer recipe it is Spinach Artichoke dip.. It is so good! I serve it with tortilla chips Everyone eats it up!.

Hi,

One of our favorites is salmon patties with white sauce, whipped potatoes and green peas. Serves 4

Salmon Patties

1 can salmon, put into a mixing bowl, do not drain salmon

2/3 cup corn meal (self rising)

2 eggs, beaten slightly with a fork

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. white or black pepper

1/4 cup finely diced onion

Heat a small amount of light olive oil or vegetable oil in a large skillet on medium. heat

Mix salmon, egg, meal, onion and seasonings. Add a little water if too dry to hold together. Be careful a little at a time.

Make into patties, fry until golden brown and heated through. About 20 minutes

White sauce, get from recipe book or internet. Very simple recipe.

Whipped Potatoes

4 large potatoes, diced finely

enough water to cover in small sauce pan.

Butter

milk or cream

1/4 tsp. white pepper

1/4 tsp. salt

Boil potatoes until tender. Drain water off well.

Meantime heat a small amount of milk, !/4 cup with 1 TBS butter. Keep warm.

Using a mixer or potato masher whip potatoes with salt and pepper until fluffy and no lumps. Then slowly stir or mix milk/butter mixture into potatoes. You may not need to add all the liquid.

Savory Peas

1 10 oz frozen peas

2 outside leaves from iceburg lettuce

1/4 tsp. salt

1/8th tsp sugar

1 tbs butter

Melt butter in small skillet, ad lettuce leaves whole. Put peas, sugar and salt over peas. Cover and let heat for 10 min. on med low heat. MMMMmmmm Good.

POACHED RED SNAPPER VERACRUZ

3 fl.oz/90 ml lime juice

3 3/4 lb/ 1.7 kg red snapper filets

salt, as needed

pepper, as needed

6 lf oz/180 ml dry white wine

12 fl oz/ 360 ml chicken stock

1 qt/ 1 L SWEET SPANISH SAUCE (recipe follows)

2 jalapeno chilies, cut into julienne

3 1.2 oz/ 100g black olives, sliced

2 tbsp capers

1. Sprinkle the lime juice over fish, and season lightly with salt and pepper.

2. Shallow poach the fish in the wine and stock, reduce the cuisson, and add the Spanish sauce. Adjust the seasoning.

3. Place the fish on the sauce. Garnish with chilie strips, olives, capers, and serve.

Sweet Spanish Sauce:

2 pablano chilies, roasted and peeled

2 cloves garlic, peeled

1 red onion, peeled and quartered

2 tablespoons safflower oil (or vegetable oil/olive oil/etc)

1 lb tomato concasse

1/2 tsp oregano

4 oz tomato puree

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp vinegar

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

1. Remove stems and seeds from chilies.

2. Puree garlic, onions and chilies in food processor.

3. Heat the oil, add the puree and saute. Add all the other ingredients. Heat the sauce, and cook for 20 - 25 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Source(s): Take from "The Professional Chef - The Culinary Institute of America 7th edition"
  • Kari R

Taco Bake

1 bag of tortilla chips

1 lb ground turkey or beef

1 small can of diced green peppers

1 bottle of medium taco sauce

1/2 onion diced

shredded cheese

1 can of refreid beans

Directions:

Cook the ground meat and diced onions in olive oil. Cook until meat is fully cooked. Add the can of diced green peppers and the bottle of taco sauce and stir together.

In a baking pan layer the bottom with tortilla chips, add some beans, cheese, and meat, then another layer of chips, beans, cheese, and meat. Keep layering.

Cook in the oven at 350 for 25 minutes.

• Stacey

Grilled chicken with your favorite marinade, I LOVE Chiavetta's or Cornell chicken. As a side dish do "potatoes on the grill"--layer 2 sheets of foil for each person, add 3 slices of butter, and slice potatoes thinly and add to each "packet" about one large potato. You can add onions sliced thinly as well if you want. Top with 3 more "slices" (1 teaspoon?) of butter and close packet by folding the foil. These take about the same amount of time to cook as the chicken, just add them to the outer edges of the grill and grill the chicken in the middle, rotating the foil packets when you turn the chicken over. Don't worry if the taters come out a bit crispy, my kids like them best that way!! Not sure if they are done? Open a packet and stick a fork in--if the fork goes into the taters easily they are cooked well enough!! Enjoy!!

• GrnApl

If you're bored then step away from your comfort zone and try something new. You won't know what you like until you try.

GYRO SALAD WITH TZATZIKI DRESSING:

1 cucumber, peeled and coarsely shredded or chopped

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup sour cream

1 carton (6ounces) plain yogurt (3/4 cup)

2 tablespoons white vinegar

1garlic clove, minced

1/2 teaspoon dill weed

1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper

SALAD:

1/2 pound ground LAMB OR GROUND BEEF

1/2 cup chopped onions

1 teaspoon Greek seasoning or oregano leaves

1 pkg. (about 10 ounces) romaine salad blend

2 tomatoes, chopped

1 package (about 4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese

1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, drained

Toasted pita bread wedges (cut dorito style brushed with olive oil & garlic and crisped in oven)OPTIONAL

In a medium bowl, sprinkle cucumber with salt; mix well. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain. Stir in remaining dressing ingredients. Cover and refrigerate. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook lamb or beef, onions, and Greek seasoning until onions are tender and meat is no longer pink; drain.

Arrange salad blend on a large serving platter; top with tomatoes, feta cheese, olives and lamb or beef. Spoon dressing over salad. Serve immediately with the toasted pita wedges. Yield: 4-6 servings

________

WILD RICE SHRIMP BAKE

1 pkg (6ounces ) long grain and wild rice mix

1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

1 medium green pepper, chopped

1 medium onion, chopped

1 can (4 oz) mushroom stems and pieces, drained

1/4 cup butter

1 can ( 10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted

1/2 cup seasoned stuffing croutons

Prepare rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the shrimp, green pepper, onion and mushrooms in butter until shrimp turn pink. Add the soup to the rice; stir into the shrimp mixture.

Transfer to a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with croutons. Bake, uncovered, at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings

Source(s): Taste of Home cooking school Bk. pgs. 19 & 55. Tried both but we used white rice instead of the wild in the second recipe.
  • F.A.Q.

I have gotten two best answers on this recipe. My family loves it, it's one of our top favorites.

BBQ Boneless, skinless chicken thighs(can use any kind of boneless, skinless pieces of chicken)

Season thighs with whatever you like(salt, pepper, garlic salt or powder, onion salt or powder)

Pan fry both sides in about a few tablespoons of EVOO(extra virgin olive oil)

You do not have to get them completely done. take them out of skillet and place them on platter in oven to rest.

Put 1-2 minced cloves garlic and 1/2 cup onion in skillet you just took chicken from, add a little more oil if necessary. Saute a few minutes.

Add 1 cup chicken stock or broth(you can use water if you don't have stock or broth) to pan and scrape bits off bottom for flavor.

Add 1/2 to 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce(we love the Jack Daniels brand). You want it to be fairly thin.

Return chicken to pan and cover with foil or lid and simmer for approx. 20-30 mins.(however long it takes me to finish the side dishes) the meat finishes cooking and the sauce thickens.

The meats so tender you can cut it with a fork.

This is excellent with mashed potatoes & corn or green beans.

The sauce is so yummy over the mashed potatoes since it is thin and not too overpowering. My hubby and kids LOVE it!

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to have!

I have my usuals: meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans. Taco night a couple times a month. Homemade pizza night. Soup, salad and sandwich night. Macaroni and cheese. Goulash. Then I'll do something special on some nights like chicken piccata or shrimp scampi.

Source(s): May I recommend Taste of Home? They send an issue every other month and feature a editors favorite meal, they also come with clip and save recipe cards, lots of them. You can have the other adults look through it and see if there is something that appeals to them, too.

Potato Salad with pasta fasta and easy to make