Carlos asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Pronounce the letters "r" and "rr" in spanish?

I am having trouble pronouncing the "R" and "RR" in spanish. I find it literally impossible. Whenever I do it, I compensate using my throat instead of my tongue or it sounds like I am substituting an "L" in its place. Please help and be specific as possible. I have tried watching others, but pretty much the best explanation I have received is, "I don't know I just do it." not helpful.

Favorite Answer

If it is a soft r like in the word "pera" (pear), pronounce it like a double dd in the word "ladder"

If t is a hard r (double r) like in "perra" (female dog) or an R at the beginning of a word like "rata" (rat), then you have to roll your rrr. It sounds nothing like the R in English but don't overdo it either, keep it relaxed.

In English your tongue doesn't touch the roof of your mouth and you kind of suck your cheeks a little as you pronounce it, for example in "rat".

If you are going to say "rata" in Spanish, LOOSELY put the underside of the very tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth right where it starts to curve in. You'll feel your tongue vibrate only on one side as you pronounce the R. Keep your mouth more open and relaxed than when pronouncing in English. Actually smile, that will help.

I have noticed now while making the sound, that the air always comes out on the left side of my tongue, if I try to make it come out on the right side I cannot make the hard R sound.... I'm right handed, so it's not a matter of being left handed. Try to force the air out on one side first and then the other to see if it makes a difference for you.

I'm laughing as I'm hearing myself make all these sounds. I'm glad I'm alone... :-)

For more help on pronunciation, grammar etc go to this website, I have found it to be very good.

http://www.studyspanish.com/pronunciatio...

http://www.studyspanish.com/tutorial.htm...

Hope this helped..

The RR or the R when it's on the beggining of a word must sound strong like the exahust of a car just make your tongue vibrate, and the R in the middle of a word should be pronounced like the r on Port or America.

Yeah, i agree with the first that answered this question, it is quite difficult to pronounce the R and the RR, but it just until you get used to it, the best way to pronounce it is if you have any spanish speaking friend and practice with him or her.

I live in Puerto Rico too.

many people have trouble with the "rr" or rolling of the tounge. I know many people who are incapable of rolling their tounge, but you are exactly correct, you should compensate with the throat. That is the correct way to do it.

Source(s): I live in puerto rico (all spanish speaking country)
  • JMario

"r" is pronunced as in "grant" "gracious" "grandma" except at the begining of a word when it is said as in "rose"

"rr" is pronounced as in "narrow"