How do I get rid of my PTSD?

I am 23 and since I have been driving I have been in 7 car accidents. 6 of them where someone elses fault and only one of them was mine. 5 of the 6 where rear-ends and one was a nasty T-bone accident.

Every time I stop at a stop light I get tense because I don't know if the person behind me is going to stop. The worst part of my PTSD is when I stop in a yeild intersection or at an intersection without a stop light, or stop sign. I get a breif flash in my head and this flash makes a car crash sound and I see my car being hit so hard that it goes flying and flips. It's only for a breif second but it happens all the time. I have tried to do everything I know of to get rid of that thought but it won't go away. I'm tired of having that thought and I am tired of being so nervous when I come to a stop.


My insurance company doesn't pay for counceling.

I am on an anti-anxiety/depressant. Effexor XR 75mg

7 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Crank up the stereo with your favorite tunes.... and get over it...ASAP... it takes time, so chill.... do the best you patient, and sing a favorite tune while your drive. Perhaps you want to drive less, and drive on the right side, with the slow people, etc. You have to "ignore" it for awhile and then pretty soon, you'll be back to normal. Don't nourish the "fear". The opposite of fear is love, so think of something you love when you come to a stop. (Oh, and I'd get OFF those meds. They cause you to need Viagra.)

    Source(s): Experience.
  • 1 decade ago

    many states will subsidise therapy as long as it is ordered by a doctor and I would recommend seeking a psychotherapist over just a counsellor because a psychotherapist can do medication management as well. Effexor is used to treat anxiety but my doctor had me on it to treat depression and generalized anxiety disorder and after about 4 months I was worse. I couldn't sleep and was a basket case. Effexor doesn't just work on serotonin it also works on norephinephrin as well and is classed as an SNRI perhaps you don't need that and would do better with just a straight SSRI like Prozac or Paxil. I am now on Prozac and it is making a difference. It was quite a big jump to wean off the effexor and I was a little slow headed but it's getting better. a psychotherapist is a specialist when it comes to psychopharmacology so if you can see one with a referal that might be better for you

  • 1 decade ago

    well if you can not afford counseling/therapy I wold recommend moving... I would also recommend not stopping at an intersection that does not require you to stop... If there is not a stop light or a stop sign then you should not stop. I would also recommend not riding a bicycle; this would probably cause more problems than you want. Sorry for the sarcasm I just thought you might need a good laugh, good luck and don't give up things will turn around for you

  • 5 years ago

    Well, if you don't want therapy, i don't see how you can get helped. See, PTSD, or post traumatic stress disorder, can be helped by continously, but comfortably reliving the situation. It takes time and only a professional therapist can help you relive it without causing emotional damage. I understand your inability to open up to strangers, but the therapist can prove to be reliable and trustworthy. In fact if s/he isn't, then he/she isn't a good one. Its totally up to you, and if you don't like your therapist you could always find a new one. I truly recommend therapy, PTSD isn't a joke, and if you really want help, you should seek for professional. Also your suicidal moods have to be dealt with professionally. Don't wait and just go. And PLEASE, PLEASE, talk to someone about your suicidal ideas. Call the hotline for suicide, don't wait on that, it could cost you your life. I really wish you the best of luck...

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    First off, I am so sorry to hear that you went through this. You deserve help and support, and you don't deserve to suffer.

    I realize you don't have insurance coverage for therapy, but there are often low cost places to get therapy. You might want to search locally for one. There is a technique called EMDR that is wonderful for treating trauma, and is often short-term for single-incident traumas (i.e. have a series of car accidents). I would HIGHLY recommend that you look for an EMDR therapist in your area. I know it's hard to come up with the money to pay for it, but if you can, I think it would help a great deal. EMDR is a method of psychotherapy that has been extensively researched and proven effective for the treatment of trauma. To find out more about it, or to find an EMDR therapist, click here:

    Good luck to you.

    Source(s): Therapist
  • 1 decade ago

    You should seek counseling/therapy and your family Dr. or psychiatrist may decide to prescribe an antidepressant because there are many out there now that also treat PTSD. Get help, you do not have to live this way. Best of Luck to you.

  • 1 decade ago

    you probably want more of an easy fix but the only proper solution unfortunantly is counselling/therapy.

    give it a go, even just once and see how you go.

    would you rather therapy sessions or post traumatic stress flashbacks?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.