IEO asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Is it safe to go to school...especially after the Virgina Tech Massacre?

I heard about the Virginia Tech Massacre last week and I just can't believe why the gunman would kill 32people with his own problems. I have zero tolerance to the gunman and absoulutely no sympathy. Anyways, I currently attend Junior High School and but I'm feeling a bit scared to go to school after the Virginia Tech incident. There are around 800 people in our school and there might be a Cho in one of those 800 people...

Please answer the following questions (as best as possible, not all questions have to be answered):

1) If you currently attend school, do YOU feel safe?

2) Do you have any sympathy for Cho Seung-Hui (the gunman?)

Thanks!

---Stephen W.

Best Answer

Well, Steven for a guy in Junior High you seem to have a very mature attitude...

1) I do not attend school, now, but I do not feel safe either. Even the police and bodyguards cannot give a person virtual security. On March 30, 1981, only sixty-nine days into the new administration, Reagan, his press secretary James Brady, and two others were struck by gunfire from a deranged would-be assassin, John Hinckley, Jr.. Missing Reagan’s heart by less than one inch, the bullet instead pierced his left lung, which likely spared his life.

2) Sympathy for Cho Seung-hui, the gunman....well if a person has just a tiny bit of sympathy for someone, he can forgive that person. Forgiving means getting rid of the anger towards that person. Cho was full of anger against people who had bullied him and those who were more affluent. His anger was first destructive to him before he turned it towards others. So it is OK to have some sympathy for him. That does not mean someone else is to blame...like the school, his parents or classmates for not "helping" him more. Especially, in his case, many people tried their best to help him and he refused. He is responsible for his actions.

As for the 800 people in your school...could there be another Cho??? Yes. It is likely that there is at least one person who is angry, ruminates (thinks over and over) about how to get revenge and has gruesome fantasies of violence. Usually, those people do not act out those fantasies. They do not indulge the urges to kill. But, they could. If people go around feeling that they deserve better then they will blame everyone else.

Is there anything that you can do? Highly doubtful. You could urge your friends to report anyone who is angry and quiet to the school counselor but that would likely not accomplish anything. You could urge your friends to be nice to such a person but that would likely not accomplish anything. It takes a lot of counseling to teach a person not to blame others, to take responsibility for themselves and to forgive all those who have hurt, used and abused them. Sometimes a friend can encourage a person to do that but it is too big a job for a friend. It is a big job even for people who get paid to do it.

Dr. Theodore Millon, dean and scientific director of the Institute for Advanced Studies in Personology and Psychopathology in Coral Gables, Fla. said, Mr. Cho’s taped rants, and his peers’ descriptions of him as a classmate, suggest a blend of severe and specific personality problems.

People with so-called avoidant personality disorder shun social situations because of a paralyzing dread of disapproval or criticism. Those with paranoid personality disorder nourish a deep distrust of others and see insults and malicious meanings in almost every interaction. Both are stubborn patterns of behavior that can begin in adolescence or earlier. In his book, “Disorders of Personality” (Wiley, 1996), Dr. Millon identifies a blend of the two as “insular paranoid” disorder. “Such people feel persecuted, deeply isolated, that the world rejects them, and they will often replace the real world with an inner one in which they act out their fantasies,” Dr. Millon said, adding that this inner world can be elaborate, a “pseudo-community” modeled after the real one in which they live. “The acting out usually stops there,” Dr. Millon said. “Only in rare circumstances do they confuse reality with this inner world.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/20/us/20psych.html

Anita Godfrey, president of the Mental Health Association of Broward County, said that many people recovering from mental illness lead productive lives. "Mental illness alone is not a predictor of violent crime," she said.

Godfrey noted that the onset of serious mental illness often occurs between ages 17 and 24. In many cases, the person refuses to believe he is ill and does not comply with treatment or medication.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/columnists/sfl-cm...

Sometimes medication helps people who are depressed and sometimes it does not work so well. What happens is that the person keeps taking the medicine and never tells the doctor that it is not working so well.....or the patient stops taking the medicine. So just taking medication, does not solve the problem and sometimes it makes it worse because the person will become sleep deprived.

Sleep deprivation ALONE will make a totally normal person become psychotic. If you look at the videotaped manifesto-like diatribe of Cho Seung-hui you will see that he almost falls asleep at certain points. There is evidence that he went to a motel to videotape those segments. It is common among younger people to ignore proper "sleep hygiene" (going to bed and waking up at the same time). This is VERY important. It regulates the "locus cereuleus" in the brain. The brain is where the serotoning, norepinephrine, dopamine etc. are modulated and the "locus cereuleus" is sort of like the master of it. You can use a good search engine (I like http://www.vivisimo.com) to look up "sleep hygiene" and "locus cereuleus" to learn more about it.

So what you should do it go about your business of studying and just keep half an eye out for anything abnormal at school or anywhere else. The world is not safe but you should not be so worried about it that it impairs your own functioning. Jeff Soriano was a V-Tech student that escaped the massacre only to go home to his parents and die in a car crash. http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/22/student.crash.ap/...

So there are all sorts of ways that people die. Just do your best to be safe. And while your living do the best you can to be a good citizen, good student, good son and good friend. Remember, have a little bit of sympathy so that you can forgive all those who have hurt, used or abused you.

I am a substitute teacher in a large metropolitan school district; and, no, I do not feel safe. Any day, there is the possibility that I will admonish a student for inappropriate behavior, failure to attend to their assignment, confiscating their cell phone, game boy, or other electronic device not allowed in the classroom. The possibility of that student having a weapon, and turning on me, is always present. There are many weapons other than guns that a student could use. A pencil or pen, thrust into a person's eye, ear, stomach, neck could be lethal.

I sympathize with anyone who has emotional problems; but, I cannot condone the actions of that person when he/she chooses to take the life of another.

If the reports of the media and the testimony of school officials and friends can be believed, there were people who suspected Cho Seung-Hui was not your "average, normal" person. Unfortunately, confidentiality, and the fear of law suits, diminishes and precludes school counselors, teachers, and administrators from contacting anyone about their concerns. Just "throw up your hands", and say "It's just the way of society today".

If I was a parent, sister, brother, grandparent, or any other relative of one of those students who were "gunned down", I would be seeking legal advice and attempting to file a "wrongful death" suit against Virginia Tech, counselors, teachers, and anyone else who was aware of Cho's bizarre writings and behavior. I would also hold to account campus security and the local police department for assuming the first shooting was a "domestic incident", and might not be a precursor to a psychotic episode leading to other killings.

In the two hours between the murders of Hilscher and her dorm neighbor Ryan Clark, and Cho's mass killings at another university building, they chose not to cancel classes or lock down the campus. (They did choose to do so, however, in August 2006, when a man shot a security guard and a sheriff's deputy and escaped from a hospital two miles away.) Virginia Tech President Charles Steger said authorities believed the first shooting was a "domestic dispute" and thought the gunman had fled the campus, so "We had no reason to suspect any other incident was going to occur." The assumption, apparently, is that men who kill their cheating girlfriends are criminals, but they are not crazy, not psychopaths, and not a danger to anyone other than the woman in question. (Or, as one reader commented at Feministe sarcastically, "Like killing your girlfriend is no big deal.")

Source: Mother Jones

Schools are becoming obsolete. The best education is the one you give yourself. Just look at what Abraham Lincoln accomplished! We are losing more and more environment to parking lots and buildings and for what? They are going to stand there vacant. On line schooling is best at this point. Besides, what is the point of going to classes when everyone has to deal with all these other issues besides learning and teaching. It has become too stressful.

I am so tired of hearing that a kid acts like this due to isolation or bullying or whatever else the excuses are. The family is usually the one who suffers because they are the ones people blame everything on. Yes, there are some bad families out there, but you can have a terrific caring family and still have these types of children.

Were you safe in school before this tragedy? After Columbine? I'm sure there are a lot of insane young people in our society, but most of them do not go on a rampage.

And there are probably several potential Cho's in your school, but that is true of anywhere in the world. There are no guarantees in life and no one gets out alive. What is that religous quote? "Killing is easy. God does it every day."

There are a million ways to die, but if we cower in our beds we will never know the other side. So go on with your life and don't dwell on death. It will come, and you can't refuse it, but you can live your life to the fullest, don't cower or cry or complain. And yes, I feel very sorry for Cho. He was a tortured and tragic waste of a human life. And because no one paid attention to his pain, many other lives were wasted.

1. Yes I do feel safe

2. No I don't have any sympathy for him.

As for feeling safe at school, there are a lot more dangerous things that could happen to you. Nothing in this world is truly safe or 100% full proof. If you worry about all the things that could happen then you wouldn't even be able to get out of bed in the morning or do anything.

Its never safe. Actually, you might as well go to school than stay at home because at least you'd be surrounded by friends at school.

What happened a VT can happen anywhere! School, home, shopping mall, your car, etc...

1) I do feel safe (even though I am a bit weary of the current situation). At school I know that friends and teachers who know and love me are there (and at home I know I have family who love and support me).

2) I have very little sympathy for CSH. I mean, yes he was depressed and he was made fun of by people but he made no effort to try and make friends and this was sort of his own fault. Besides... can you just forget something as serious as mass murder?

• Erika

There are 80 million gun vendors interior the U. S. and greater or less 30,000 gun deaths consistent with twelve months. of those 30,000 gun deaths, an entire slew are suicides and an entire slew of others are idiots cleansing loaded weapons. Take the form of certainly gun murders and divide it by employing 80 million, and you get a effective small form. That tiny fraction, in spite of it is via the fact this is too previous due for me to do the maths myself, is why liberals elect to take the weapons away. somebody above me reported "outlaw gun-unfastened zones." that's what is going to stop the college shootings. If a toddler is basically too stupid to comprehend that he would not outgun all and sundry on campus, then enable somebody else take the little ******* out earlier he has a raffle to do lots injury.

1) I go to college, and no i dont feel safe at all. My campus is HUGE and completely open to the surrounding area and we even had a shooting last year. I don't think you have much reason to worry since middle schools are much better controlled ... and these types of psychos don't usually develop in junior high.

2) I have no sympathy whatsoever for that *******. I kinda wish I believed in heaven and hell right now ... that way at least I'd be assured that SOB is burning in hell for the rest of eternity. On some level I'm glad he's dead .. it would save me the hell of knowing he's alive and well in a jail while 32 innocent people are in their graves.

I don't feel safe anywhere. But I got to go on living. Being a gun owner does make me a whole lot safer (when I'm at home) but because the cry baby people let congress put restrictions on when I can carry, it is easy for some yahoo to take aim at me because he know I'm not carrying and HE is because he don't care about any gun laws. Gun restiction will not make anyone safe cuz certain people will always disregard it.....hmmmm maybe I should do the same and suprise a would-be attacker.

Honestly, it's not totally safe to do anything - you can never be 100% safe in the world. Get over it. Be prepared to have to defend yourself. The US is 'one of' the safest countries in the world, but it's not flawless.

#@(*&*&$ NO, I have ZERO sympathy for that murderer. He's not the 'gunman' or the 'shooter' or anything besides a deranged murderer.

Yes, there could be a psycho murderer in your school, your office, your subway train, your airplane, or your carpool. They are all over the place. We're just lucky that they don't snap as often as they could.