shawn L asked in Environment · 1 decade ago

fact or fiction?

i hear that it cost about 15 cents per click if you click a light switch on and off. it actually waste more energy than just leaving the switch on for a period of time. i also hear that even if a electric component is not on or running yet it is still plugged in it is still using electricity. you must unplug the item to save energy. is this true? i live in northern california (pacific gas and electric)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes it is true that if you leave a appliance or anything plugged in it does continue to use electricity. If you buy a smart strip to plug the appliances into then when you turn it off it will not use electricity and you can still leave it plugged in. The cost varies depending on where you live and who your electric company is. I don't think that it is that high but it does cost it just varies. Hope this helped.

Source(s): They had this on Oprah the other day. You can check it out at www.oprah.com
  • 1 decade ago

Your electric meter is a current reading device, that much is

true, but it is how it reads that causes the problem. When

you turn on a light switch there is a serge, that serge is read

by the meter as high current drain. That is what costs you

money. So, in as few words as is passable, you are correct.

There are some electrical items in the home that draw current

even when they are supposedly off. Any TV, VCR or DVD

player with a remote control is never really turned off, it is

merely in a state of rest. The current drain, however is

negligible.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The TV show Mythbusters did a show on this. They showed it did NOT save energy to keep the lights on. So to save energy turn off the lights when ever not being used.

I light uses 0 when off. But the computer does use the same energy when it is not being used.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

OK If the light is on you are using amperage and that is what cost money. They may refer it as wattage and will tell you how to figure it out. So off is off. In Oregon PG&E are the same robbers as down there.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.