Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

"Heil Hitler"?

Is using the term "Heil Hitler" in Germany a criminal offence punishable by law?

Can you use this to take a jib at your friends in Germany?

We were having a tour in Bavaria the other day and an old friend, a frauleins, was our guide. She was also anxious that everything was alright. Hence, she started giving us a lot instuctions and advice.

Seeing she seemed worked up and quite particular, so when she asked us did we understand her, my friend decided to take a jib and told her "Heil Hitler!" Almost immediately, she retorted "You shouldn't be saying that!" She seemed quite angry and pressured.

That is why I am just wondering.

• Elly
    Favorite Answer

I'm not sure if it is a criminal offence. However it is not funny. It is really not funny. It's not a good idea to say that to your "friends" or you might lose some friends, unless they are neo-Nazis, then they might like it.

Generally glorification of Nazism is punishable by law in Germany but then again you don't go to jail for just saying some bad words in private. Neither would you go to jail for denying the Holocaust in private. The people who are against banning of Holocaust denial always exaggerate it and say that those countries that have banned it had no freedom of speech anymore and all that. The people who were jailed for Holocaust denial were those who actively promoted Holocaust denial by publications, websites etc., not for just saying a sentence somewhere.

However I strongly suggest you never to use this term.

I saw your details... yes I would also be very offended. Are you serious that you don't understand that? Nazism was not some funny game that you can now joke about.... ah, and now you will say again that the Germans have no sense of humor..........

If that woman was so nice to you, why did you have to insult her like this?

Source(s): I'm German

Not sure about that specific term, but Europe has hate speech laws, UK has racial hatred incitement laws. And sadly, because of those hate speech laws, an imperfect human will decide if it was hate speech or not.

I know it's a crime to SAY that the Holocaust didn't happen in Germany, France, UK, and Israel. Think about this for a second. It's a crime to SAY it!!! You're not free, Europe.

even if hitler did not die at the end of ww2 but ran to argentina or somewhere .... that was 60+ years ago, so i guess he's dead by now ... "heil" means "good health" , so wishing good health to a dead man is not illegal, it's a joke ... if they are not morons they will understand, smile and reply "heil to you too"

Understandably, that reference is an affront to the Germans.

not a good idea, could wind up getting your butt kicked or worse going to jail

Why would I want to take a jab at people I call friends? Is that some sort of a lib thing?