My grandfather was bulgarian, Can I apply for bulgarian citizenship?
My father and me are not bulgarian, and we are from Southamerica.
- HJWLv 71 decade agoFavorite Answer
citizenship is given trough generation ....have your parents acquired bulagarian citizenship ?
CITIZENSHIP: (TI) Citizenship is based upon the Law on Bulgarian Citizenship, dated August 31, 1986.
BY BIRTH: Birth within the territory of Bulgaria does not automatically confer citizenship. The exception is a child born in Bulgaria to unknown or stateless parents.
BY DESCENT: Child, at least one of whose parents is a citizen of Bulgaria, regardless of the country of birth.
OTHER: The following are eligible for Bulgarian citizenship through other than the normal naturalization process:
- A stateless person, one of whose parents is of Bulgarian descent.
- A child under 14, adopted by Bulgarian parents.
- Refugees fleeing persecution.
- Persons who have greatly contributed to Bulgarian society.
BY NATURALIZATION: Bulgarian citizenship may be acquired upon fulfillment of the following condition: Person has resided legally in Bulgaria for at least five years.
DUAL CITIZENSHIP: RECOGNIZED.
LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP:
VOLUNTARY: Voluntary renunciation of Bulgarian citizenship is permitted by law. Contact the Bulgarian Embassy for details and proper paperwork.
INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary loss of naturalized citizenship:
- Naturalized citizenship was obtained through fraud or false statement. However, this revocation only effects the person who made the false statements. The person's spouse and children may retain Bulgarian citizenship.
- Person commits criminal acts against the security of the state outside of Bulgaria.
ANY QUESTIONS concerning citizenship, or requests for renunciation of citizenship, should be sent to the address below:
Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria
1621 22nd St., NW
Washington, DC 20008
Embassy/Consular Telephone: 202-387-7969
ARGENTINA, 1428 BUENOS AIRES
Embajada de la Republica de Bulgaria
SUKRE, ANTONIO DE, 1568
Tel: (0054 1) 781-86-44 и 786-62-73
788-89-11 (after business hours)
- jollayLv 43 years ago
Your mom maximum possibly qualifies for Bulgarian citizenship via descent - she could carry on with for a passport and discover out. regrettably as you're already over 18, you have merely ignored out. you're able to verify with the Bulgarian Embassy.
- 3 years ago
Yes you can claim Bulgarian citizenship as long as you prove that your grandparent is a lawfull national of Bulgaria