It is true treating pimples needs both patience and persistence, but sometimes time is the thing you are short of. You desperately need them off your face at any cost; the world seems almost cruel otherwise. You almost feel like tearing your hair out thinking of how to get rid of pimples overnight and it is for situations like these that there are over the counter drugs and ointments.
Here are quick and simple ways that we can care for our skin.
1. Nourish your skin by eating the proper foods. This means healthy and balanced diet. Healthy and balanced diet promotes our general well being and optimizes our body to function at its best. To have a healthy skin, eat plenty of seed food i.e. fruits that contain seeds, vegetables - organic vegetables are better as it contains additional nutrients
2. Drink plenty of water. The recommended eight glasses of water a day is essential in maintaining the skin’s elasticity and suppleness. Water also clears your skin and aids in the proper elimination of waste. Remember, less waste products in your body, more beautiful skin.
3. Exercise regularly. Exercise is good for our heart and body. Even our skin benefits with exercise by increasing blood circulation and thus bringing enough oxygen and nutrients to the rest of our body. Exercise also triggers the body to produce more sebum that is the body’s natural moisturizer.
4. Be smoke and alcohol- free. Smoking tends to destroy the Vitamin C in your body, damage the elastic tissues that keep skin tight. Drinking liquor on the other hand tends to expand your blood vessels causing red spots and itchiness on your skin.
5. Cleanse it. Cleaning plays an important part in the overall wellness of your skin. Experts agree that we should gently clean our skin; tone it; moisturize it; and exfoliate it.
6. Protect your skin. Harsh elements can severely damage your skin and can lead to irritation and infection. Wear sunscreen with at least SPF 15 every time you go out of the sun. For outdoor activity, use SPF 45 because you'll be perspiring, which dilutes the sunscreen. For those who are very fair, who have red hair, blue eyes and freckles, add a total block that contains titanium or zinc.
7. Rest. Get plenty of rest. You are giving your skin a time to rejuvenate and heal while you rest. Stress is extremely bad for your skin and body. It indirectly creates instability in your hormonal system, which in turn leads to more skin problems like breakouts and acne
You may decide that your acne problem is serious and wish to consult a dermatologist. Before visiting a dermatologist for the first time, it is good to know what to expect especially in the type of acne medication that he or she is likely to prescribe.
While seeking treatment, your dermatologist may prescribe you with more than one type of acne medication. This can be normal as acne is usually assessed on a-case-by-case basis. Therefore, acne medications that work for another does not necessarily imply that it will also work for you. Depending on the seriousness of your acne problem, your dermatologist may be prescribing you with a topical acne medication and/or a systematic approach to reduce the cases of flare-ups and inflammations.
A topical acne medication treatment is one that is applied on the skin surface. It can come in different forms; for example, lotions, gels, soaps and creams. Benzoyl peroxide is a common ingredient in the majority of acne medications as it helps in slowing down the activities of the oil glands in producing skin oil called "sebum". However, continued use of this acne medication may cause the skin to dry and crack up plus a possible irritation and burning sensation may be felt. But this can be resolved pretty easily through minimizing the level of usage of benzoyl peroxide.
It is important that this product is used over the infected area, not just directly to one or two individual pimples. Smearing and flaking are likely to carry the infection to other parts of the skin, like the back, shoulders and neck. So you have to be careful, when you apply this product.
Retin A, a derivative of Vitamin A is not a topical acne medication but it is noted to show great effects on the growth of acne. It works by drying the skin thus preventing new pimples form developing. However, it is suggested that if you should use this, you must at all times, stay away from the sun as this may only aggravate the skin condition.
Meanwhile, systematic acne medication is one that is taken internally to combat acne. It usually comes in the form of antibiotics. The type of antibiotic that you may use will depend largely on the severity of the case and your skin type. At times, you may be prescribed to use small amounts of antibiotic contents like that in Bacitracyn and many over the counter acne medications.
On the average, these acne medications may take six to eight weeks before significant developments take effect.
In certain cases, your dermatologist may prescribe you with hormonal acne medication reatment. The principle in most hormonal treatments is to control the release of hormones such as androgens and testosterone. This happens when the dermatologist decides that hormone imbalances is the cause of your acne.
Of course, it is always best to get a professional and qualified skin specialist or dermatologist for a proper diagnosis. Choose one that comes highly recommended by your friends and relatives. Spend time to search for a good dermatologist