Improv or acting to improve shyness??

I am thinking about taking an improv class to get over shyness. I don't think i am good at it by any means, but i think it might be fun and helpful. does anybody know if this would be helpful? can any formerly shy people attest to this? do you know of anyone who did this and noticed an improvement?... show more I am thinking about taking an improv class to get over shyness. I don't think i am good at it by any means, but i think it might be fun and helpful.

does anybody know if this would be helpful?
can any formerly shy people attest to this?
do you know of anyone who did this and noticed an improvement? (like they were soooo shy and took some classes like this and there was a noticable change for the better?)
any other suggestions?
if you think this is a bad idea, please state why.

Im so tired of being shy...i just want to live!! :-)
Update: PS: i have heard of some actors who are alledgedly shy in real life...does anybody know of examples and know whether this is true??

I am posting this in psychology section because it is about a personality trait/// social anxiety disorder and how to faciliate recovery.