Dog Adoption Morality Question - Racism?

Recently was working for a "not for profit" dog adoption agencies. After a while i saw that they almost never allowed black and latino families to adopt their dogs. While some ethnic families seemed to be better suited to adopt a dog than the white families that got them...

I've heard similar stories from my friends working for other dog agencies. Should "not for profit" agencies be allowed to be racist? It seems many people that work for these agencies do so because they want some power over the lives of other people, what do you think???

Favorite Answer

That's terrible. I do know some rescues where people are absolute control freaks. With some breeds you really need a fence. As a rescue we do check adopters out via references and home visits. Some people are offended by that, but most rescues just want the dog to go to a good family. I am white and a woman myself. I can't think of any group I haven't adopted to. Something to think about. Thank-you!

Source(s): Dog Rescue Director.

No one should be "allowed to be racist" but there are a lot of reasons people are rejected from adopting dogs. I would look at the overall history of the agency, the situations and make sure before you accuse anyone of anything.

Years ago, my friend and I found a great dog at a not for profit agency. We both fell in love with the dog but he "bonded" better with me so we decided I should adopt him. Unfortunately, I was rejected because my fence was not tall enough and I worked long hours. My friend who rents was allowed to adopt a dog because her rental home met the requirements and she can work from home. She is Latino.

In the end the agency made the best choice for the dog and we both appreciated them for taking the time to make sure he was properly placed. I was surprised to see how much is involved in adopting a dog but in the end this agency wanted the best for the dog and to ensure him a permanent home. I would assess the entire situation before jumping to conclusion about people and agencies.

Yes I find this extremely sad. This prices are ridiculous no one should have to pay that much money to give a baby in need a home and parents regardless of the child’s race. The even sadder part is all races come in various shades there are some dark east Indians and even Asians depending on what part of the world they are from. There are some light skinned AA. If I adopted an infant from an agency I would not adopt from an agency that has the fee different by the race of the baby. Of course I wouldn’t adopt from agency if I ended up with an adopted infant the baby will be from the FCS like was the case with myself. edit - The link Julie posted has baby ½ Korean ½ AA for a fee of 32 grand. Then they have a full Caucasian baby for 27 grand. Mulatto baby for 25,700 grand Full AA for 26,200. This seems very crazy where is all this money going? I could go on decent vacation or purchase a new car for this kind of dough.

• meg3f

That is truly sad, there are many good people/families of all races and cultures who would make great pet owners.

I have had an experience with something similar. I am white, and lived in a mixed neighborhood, this was years ago. A friend and neighbor wanted to adopt a dog, he was white as well. But he was denied because they said that too many dogs that were adopted out in that area ended up back at the dog pound and being put to sleep.

I don't know if this has anything to do with what you are talking about, but even then I thought it was ridiculous. No one should be able to make blanket judgements like that.

I have worked for several dog rescue groups and shelters and never saw that as a problem. Adoption was based on finances )in order properly care for the dog) the home environment and in some cases some dog had special needs and would not be adopted to say city homes, homes without fencing or that had kids, or other dogs. But I never saw race as an issue. That is awful that it happens, loving homes for dogs should be based on the a good loving home and not skin color.

Thats absurd, there isn't any reason for a "Non-Profit" organization to not let a black or latino family adopt a loving family pet just because of the color of their skin. I would take this one to court if it was me.

WOW!! How stupid!! I'm white and no where NEAR prejudice! I take that back!! I DO so hate dust, bill collectors and liars...other than that...I'm good to go! I didn't know that was even happening. Not for profit or BIG profit should NOT make a difference. Someone needs to report them!! That's infringement rights as well as prejudice!!! Idiots!!!

I work for a humane society and I don't think race enters into the selection process. That said, the system does favor people who own their homes rather than people who rent, because people who rent must have permission from their landlords. Thus people in lower socioeconomic groups who don't own homes may have a harder time adopting.

It may not be the entire organization that is like that, but a few select people who are in charge of adoptions. That really is just too sad to hear about. If they are truly being racist, they're sucking in two ways-- being degrading to people and preventing animals from getting to their forever homes. :(

wow. i've never heard of that. i hope the agency i got my dog from was not like that.

does your agency do back ground checks prior to them adopting out the animals??