Promoted

Where did the term '420' come from?

Happy 420!!

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Happy, Happy!!

Supposedly it came from the code cops use (my cops friends say - not true , it really came from some kids in california back in the day.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I went to high school in the 70's and I never heard it until about 10 years ago

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The claims that the number refers to a police code, a number of chemicals, or a television commercial are all unfounded urban myths.

The term came from a group of high school students in 1971. See more at the reference link below.

• 1 decade ago

Don't believe anyone, no one really knows. Some say the Grateful Dead but I've heard a million theories! Haha I never know it's 420 till the day after! Thanks for the heads up!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

4:20 is the time that kids from a high school in San Rafael, Ca. met to smoke pot. Now it's a national pothead holiday! April 20 at 4:20 large crowds smoke pot in unison and noone can do a thing about it!

kinda cool really...

• 1 decade ago

KIDS USED TO GO HOME FROM SCHOOL AND SMOKE AT 4:20, SO THE TERM COMES FROM THE SAYING "IT'S 4:20 DO YOU KNOW WHERE UR KIDS ARE"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

420 has nothing to do with police codes its not even a code of theres. I have a police friend who I asked about this and they dont use the term 420 for anything.

Well today is National Earth Appreacation Day

Source(s): Its always 4:20 in my world : )
  • 1 decade ago

I have heard it is a old police code for drug use

I don't know if I belive this but the dopers now use it as a code for getting high

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

HAPPY 420

There's a lot more of the origin but I forgot.

420 is the code police use for a drug bust thought,

But remember today, and please pray, because today is the 8 year annaversary of the Columbine tragedy.

Source(s): hell yeah princess, hit dis sh*t
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Same to you - I am taking off work at noon to go meet 12 opther people and stay at the Lemp Mansion in St Louis. It is haunted!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.