Where did the term '420' come from?

Happy 420!!

Favorite Answer

Happy, Happy!!

Supposedly it came from the code cops use (my cops friends say - not true , it really came from some kids in california back in the day.

I went to high school in the 70's and I never heard it until about 10 years ago

The claims that the number refers to a police code, a number of chemicals, or a television commercial are all unfounded urban myths.

The term came from a group of high school students in 1971. See more at the reference link below.

Don't believe anyone, no one really knows. Some say the Grateful Dead but I've heard a million theories! Haha I never know it's 420 till the day after! Thanks for the heads up!

4:20 is the time that kids from a high school in San Rafael, Ca. met to smoke pot. Now it's a national pothead holiday! April 20 at 4:20 large crowds smoke pot in unison and noone can do a thing about it!

kinda cool really...

KIDS USED TO GO HOME FROM SCHOOL AND SMOKE AT 4:20, SO THE TERM COMES FROM THE SAYING "IT'S 4:20 DO YOU KNOW WHERE UR KIDS ARE"

420 has nothing to do with police codes its not even a code of theres. I have a police friend who I asked about this and they dont use the term 420 for anything.

Well today is National Earth Appreacation Day

Source(s): Its always 4:20 in my world : )

I have heard it is a old police code for drug use

I don't know if I belive this but the dopers now use it as a code for getting high

HAPPY 420

There's a lot more of the origin but I forgot.

420 is the code police use for a drug bust thought,

But remember today, and please pray, because today is the 8 year annaversary of the Columbine tragedy.

Source(s): hell yeah princess, hit dis sh*t

Same to you - I am taking off work at noon to go meet 12 opther people and stay at the Lemp Mansion in St Louis. It is haunted!