Should I go to a community college for Dental Hygeine after having almost 3 years at a University (Philosophy)

I've been going to the University of Illinois for the past (almost) 3 years. This whole time I've had no idea what I want to do with my life, so I have been taking mainly general education classes. This semester I had to choose a major, so I chose Philosophy and was planning to pursue a career in Law.

Anyways, I hate it here and have been dealing with Clinical Depression and Comorbid Anxiety for the past 2 years, which has had a negative impact on my grades recently. So, I've decided I can't take it any more and I think I am going to move to Arizona with my boyfriend (of 3 years) because he got an excellent job offer there from a Fortune 500 company.

My question is basically this: Is it reasonable to purse an Associates Degree in Dental Hygeine (at a community college in AZ) after I've already gone so far at a somewhat prestigious University? And, will it actually take me the full 2 years to get the degree since I have already taken 3 years (including gen eds) at a University?

Well, I am moving to Tempe AND in my senior year of High School I wanted to go to ASU and was accepted with a scholarship, but my parents wouldn't let me go there because U of I is a better school and closer to home. ASU is a possibility. Hmmm... Thanks for your input so far.

I'm very indecisive and am just wondering what other people think.

I don't want to waste my education, but the Dental Hygeine field seems to be growing fast and has a pretty decent paycheck for a job that I think I might like. Plus I found a job in Tempe for a Dental Hygeinist ($45.00 an hours and great benefits). So that sounds pretty good. I don't know what to do!

Anybody else have any input?

oh and I just now realized that I spelled hygiene wrong throughout the whole thing...whoops... it won't let me edit the question...

Favorite Answer

If how you feel has been effecting your grades, you probably won't be graduating next year. Usually, once the downward spiral starts, it's hard to pull up. I think the move to a community college is a good option. No, you won't have to attend for a full two years, unless the courses you need are only offered at certain semesters. If that's the case, you may end up only taking one course per semester. You've probably done most of the pre-req courses like English 1 & 2, psych, soc, and a required math course. You'll probably have to take anatomy 1 & 2, chem 1 (& maybe 2), and micro. Then you're just left with the courses specific to dental hygiene.

Community colleges have a whole different atmosphere than universities. There tends to be more adult learners, class size tends to be smaller, help is more readily available. and many more courses are available at night. Community colleges tend to feel more personal, and that can make it a much more enjoyable experience. I've done both at different times during my education. I think there are some definite pluses at community colleges.

You're smart to consider getting yourself a career, instead of pushing yourself, especially when it isn't working. Working as a dental hygienist is honest work, and the pay isn't bad when you consider the amount of time invested in school. Most importantly... you can ALWAYS go back to school to follow your law (or whatever you decide to pursue) degree in the future. Once you're working, settled in, and life starts to level out, you might find your interested in pursuing a degree again.

Don't let other people tell you that you'll never finish your degree if you become a DH. You'll only never do something, if you convince yourself that you can't. I attended a university to major in architecture right after high school. At the time, I was more intreested in partying, than studying. I left school and went to work in a family run business. While I worked there, I went to a community college and became a nurse. A few years later, I went back and got my bachelor's. I worked as a nurse for several years, then decided to go back to school and get another bachelor's in bio. A couple of years after that, I decided to go back again and get my master's as a PA. Even now, I'm considering going back to school.

Too many kids feel pressured to get that degree right out of high school, even if they really don't feel ready for it, or even know what they want to do. A lot of the time, they drop out and end up working at jobs that won't get them anywhere. Can somebody say, "Welcome to Wal-Mart"? At least you're thinking about your future, and getting a decent career. I think it's a very smart option, and that you definitely should go for it. Just remember to always keep your options opened. You're NEVER too old!

Best of luck! Enjoy AZ, and life!

Source(s): Been there.

Community College -If you are undecided about a major or University, you want to go to go here to get your thoughts straight. -If you know what your major is you can also go here b/c you can save money while taking the same lower division classes your taking at the University level. Just know what you have to do to transfer and have a plan. i.e. see a counseler at the University desired. -It is not for losers b/c most of the people in community college can get into the State University, but decide to go a different route and transfer to a more accredited University. -Classes are not curved, can be harder than a University depending on where you go, and which school has a good rep.(Goes for lower division classes) -You can earn an AA degree, or earn certificates while attending the community college, and also transfer at the same time. Just plan it out. -Usually close to home. University -Can be easier than CC because of curves, just do better than the person sitting next to you (goes for both lower and upper division classes). -Cost money. i.e. food, housing, transportation, entertainment, etc. -Opportunities to research with professors. -Experiences of living away from home, learn how to manage your expenses, and living with strangers. -You don't have to work hard in high school to go to a University, just study do well, i.e. get good grades, don't slack off, have a successful attitude. -No matter what route you choose, just plan things out.

Transfer to Arizona State, it's kind of like College but a 1/3 less.