My Puppy Guido asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Breeding my Male WHEATEN TERRIER?

I have a 6 month old Wheaten Terrier. I brought him to the vet and my vet said he was an awesome dog. I am also friends with another vet who said I could probably make some money if I wanted to breed my pup. I just don't know where to start. I knwo most breeders already OWN the male and female, but is there a site where I can find someone looking for the male? Its just an idea I have had, and I don't want to do the breeding myself, I'd just like to look into this!

I purchased him from a breeder whose wheatens were champs.

He is registered and all that jazz... i just don't knwo where to start.

This is only an option i am only curious> If you only have rude comments, please don't respond, i want insignt not ignorance.

If you read my whole message you will see it was a MISPELLING. it is 12am.... I spelled it correctly everywhere else, but there.... read the title, its correct there also... Why when someone OWNS a dog, like yourselves, you think you know everything. this is an ANSWER website, not a website where you should be a problem! so back to my WHEATEN,,,, or to elaborate my SOFT COATED WHEATEN TERRIER!

i just realised LIZZY you said it's WHEATON... please visit the AKC's website... it is WHEATEN, so I did not misspell it... Also www.hookedonphonics.com should i say hukedonfonics?

he is up on shots, and is registered also. i got him from a very good breeder. I checked up ON EVERYTHING medical wise, she gave me certified copies of his family history. He is prime, with the exception of a scratch that is healing in his ear. My whole purpose is he is great. he isnt like other dogs, his temperment is the best. He acts as though he knows every word I say, and what the vet did mean is he has perfect porpotions as of now. I know i have to wait a year or so, but i figured I could get my feet wet. Also i cannot show him until his is an adult, since Wheatens change dramaticcally from puppy to adult!

THANKS FOR YOUR INSIGHT!

For the last person... I PURCHASED FORM A REPUTABLE BREEDER. I ahve all the paperwork from his history his parents and their parents.... I want to breed him becuase he is a GOOD dog. yes only at 6 months, but I know he is a good pup.... the money is a bonus! Also no obedient training needed. I am his trainer... if you met my dog you would think he went to trainign classes. I dont need to spend money on trainers. i have trained other dogs too for people for almost 3 years... My Point is... about the breeding etc... I guess when he is an adult I will try and get him into shows.... This was just an idea... Maybe i should post some video or pics to proove this in 6 more months ;)

thanks all!

Favorite Answer

''Lizzy'' is wrong, and you spelled the breed name the right way.

You'll have to advertise in the newspaper ''Stud available''. Usually, you'll get a nice 'fee', or first pick of the litter, if that interests you.

List the kennel club he's registered with. Make sure he's tested for all potential health problems known for that breed (wouldn't want to breed a dog with unhealthy traits!). Common health problems are: protein-losing nephropathy (PLN) and protein-losing enteropathy (PLE). Addison's Disease also occurs and renal dysplasia (RD).

I would wait until the dog is around 1 1/2 yrs old, maybe 2 yrs old, just for then he's more mature.

Make sure the female is of quality, too.

If he's only 6 months old he's not old enough to consider breeding yet. An awesome puppy might grow up to be a OK dog. The best place to see if your puppy is up to standard is in the show ring. You should also start obedience training. The more talented you can make him the more he's going to be worth if he ever develops into anything.

Your breeder you got your puppy from is the best place to start. Ask them for advice on how to get him ring ready and let the judges tell you if he's worth his bag of kibble or not. Most great show studs aren't having people knocking down the door if he never get to show his stuff in the ring. Try Rally obedience, agility, tracking, terrier trials, flyball, heck get out there and have fun with you dog. If he really is great you'lll know soon enough and if he not well you'l know that too.

Remember you 50% responsible for ever litter that he might ever produce, so be prepared for people to blame him if anything goes wrong with your litter or if the puppies don't sell. Breeding is a tough thing, much more than just letting two dogs have sex.

Good luck and have fun.

You don't have to own the female,if your dog is as good as he sounds,get him registered with the AKC,and maybe get someone to handle him in conformation shows,or learn how to yourself with the help of another professional.If he does well there and gets some recognition in the canine world,you should have no problem finding people who would want to breed their dog to yours.Best part is,all you do is provide the male,usually the owners of the females do the hard stuff.He must be up to date on all of his vaccinations,have a good temperament,and really the only reason you should want to breed is because you think the addition of your dogs genes to the gene pool would better the breed.If you think your dog is a prime example of a wheaten terrier and other people would love to have a dog like him,then by all means,go for it.Maybe you should look into his history though,see if his parents/grandparents or anything had any genetic problems,like hip dysplasia,etc.Also,talk with other breeders of Wheaten terriers to see if they think your dog would be a good breeding dog,they can probably offer sound advice.Hope this sort of helped =)

your vet means he is healthy... not nessecarily a good dog to breed.

breeding is done with dogs with good physical characteristics (also medical). this includes things like spacial measurements across his body, his fur (strand and overal thickness etc...), his stance and a million other things.

your pup wont be fully grown until about 1-1.5 years old... so, although pups give very good indications, you wont know if he is a good dog to breed until you know what he looks like when he is fully developed.

when he reaches a year old, take him to a registered, experienced breeder who shows their animals, so they can have a look at him to determine if he would be in demand for breeding.

if not, you can still breed him as a pure bred Wheaten with papers - but his pups will only sell as pets.... so he wont be in great demand and you wont be able to charge for mating (unless the people paying are dumb).

most "breeders" are back yard breeders. it is unlikely you got a good male breeding specimen by accident - breeders sell these dogs for amazing amounts of money - not as pets... and there may be only one (sometimes no) such specimen in each litter bred my these professionals.

it is highly unlikely that this dog, sold to you as a pet, is stud quality - it doesnt matter if his parents are champions or not, that is just the start of the selection process.

.

Source(s): im a vet

If your dog doesn't have a championship, and all health clearances relevent to the breed then you shouldn't breed him. Also, if he wasn't sold to you on a "breeding" contract, meaning he isn't registered as a breeding stud, don't breed him.

People who own the male and female are backyard breeders most of the time. Very few responsible breeders own both of the dogs. If you want to find people interested in using your dog for breeding start showing him in conformtion. If he does well you will meet people who are interested in using him.

EDIT:

It doesn't matter if your dog is "from champion lines", I'm telling you that he himself needs to be shown in conformation and get a championship before you breed him.

My concern is your motivation for breeding.

". . . .said I could probably make some money if I wanted to breed my pup"

If you purchased this dog from a responsible/reputable breeder, he would have told you he was "show quality" and informed you about breeding rights. If he was "pet" quality, he would have been sold with a spay/neuter contract.

If you purchased this dog from a backyard breeder or petstore, you have no pedigree to rely on for health guarantees for your pups offspring. Sure you pup at 6 months now is in great shape, who knows what his future hold, or the future of any potential offspring with out knowing his pedigree and health of his parents?

If you did purchase your pup from a reputable breeder and are intersted in breeding him, I would contact the breeder not only for specific information about your pup, but for suggestions about possibly studding him.

Sure the vets would love more billing. All the money they can make on litters with problems is a lot better than a spay. Don't bred. There are tons of dogs, even purebred AKC Wheatens dying in shelters everyday.

Source(s): Dog Rescue Director

look i really dont think this is the right site to ask this particular question and the reason being is: people here WILL judge you and WILL tell you NOT to breed. Thats about it. I cant really say much myself because im no breeder but i would advise you to get a few books on it or do your research on the net. I made the same mistake of asking about me breeding my dog and i just thought "theres no way im gonna get anything out of this" because people here dont answer to your question, they actually judge you by your question.

good luck anyways!

• fryer

Sorry, no papers, no breeding. obviously you have not shown this dogs or carried out any health tests ... in basic terms because human beings favor doggies from her would not recommend she must be bred. that's no longer something that would nicely be taken on gently - breeding and whelping takes extremely some time and expertise, may reason extremely some heartache even as issues bypass incorrect, and may value you extremely some funds. Please spay your dogs - delight in her as a puppy and critical different, no longer a breeding gadget. She'll be happier and in good structure for it. propose and persons needing doggies to visit their interior reach protect.

I would say at least get one major under his belt before you try to get someone to breed to him. That way you can proove that he is of great lineage. Talk to your breeder about the Wheaton specialty show and see if he/she can help you get ready. The Wheaton show groom takes a good 6 months to get ready!