Why would most organizations not develop strategies for matches between opportunities and weaknesses?

This question is for a Intro to Management course study (college).

Favorite Answer

It's actually asking about the disadvantages of SWOT analysis, in my opinion.

Why... the reason will be, it's hard to cope with the external environment, and it's hard to develop. External environment is turbulent, and change anytime. Therefore, it's hard for the organization to come out strategy that matches between opportunities and weaknesses. Besides, PEST analysis is the more commonly used strategy as it covers most of the aspects.

PEST analysis stands for "Political, Economic, Social, and Technological analysis"

There's another one to add after PEST, would be "C", which stands for Competition. Michael Porter's 5 forces analysis is important as well. It includes : -The bargaining power of customers, The bargaining power of suppliers, The threat of new entrants, The threat of substitute products, and The intensity of competitive rivalry.

You might want to take a look at this : http://www.westga.edu/~bquest/2000/swot1.html

it might helps a bit.

That's all i could think of, i hope it helps.

Source(s): My "Strategy" notes. "Strategy" is one of the subjects I'm taking currently.