Is the Dixie (Rebel) Flag a racist symbol?

Just trying to settle a disagreement.

Thank you.

This is in reguards to an 11 year old who "obsessed" with the "Rebal Flag" and we are debating as to if it is considered a racist symbol by a majority of people. I say it is, and we are trying to discourage her from wearing it.

Favorite Answer

The flag stands for the belief that not all men are created equal. Then again it depends on how you see it as: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_flag

There's a section in that link discussing on the conflict over its symbolism. Not quite sure how I think about it but I'm leaning towards against.

• John C

It's a matter of opinion. It all depends on the context of how it's displayed. The Confederate flag was created to distinguish sides between the North and the South during the Civil war. The flag we all know as the Confederate flag was the South's battle flag. Slavery was one of the several key issues that was being fought over. Slavery of course being the biggest issue but really did not come into play until later in the war. The North needed to find a "stronger cause" to fight for and enlist more troops. Adding slavery was the answer. But remember the flag that everyone loves an honors today (Old Glory) was the flag created when slavery was condoned and practiced by many people (including blacks) and our congress. So (in my opinion) if you are displaying a Confederate flag in your home because your great-great grandfather fought and died for the south and it was your way to honor him than I would not consider that racist. I can understand because of the lack of history that's taught in our schools people would actually compare the Nazi flag to the Confederate flag. Most people don't know all the facts about where, how or why the flag was created. To wear the flag for no apparent reason or understanding of how and why it was created than really they aren't showing respect for the flag and what it stands for. To wear it because it "looks cool" is their right as an American but to wear a symbol and be ignorant of it's meaning is dishonorable to the men that died for it's cause.

Redneck, yes, racist, no. Big difference. The Confederate battle flag now should be seen as more of an item of history or even heritage, not hate. The winners write the history books, so racism is what it is attributed to. The Civil War or War for Southern Independence, or whatever you want to call it according to who you ask, was over states rights not slavery but here again the winners write the history books. A little known fact, General Grant for the USA owned slaves throughout the Civil War, General Lee of the CSA, released all of his slaves before the Civil War. Another small fact, slave owners in the South represented a very small portion of southerners. Unfortunately the Rebel flag is indeed considered to be a "racist" symbol, though it shouldn't be. I expect to see a lot of ignorant responses on here concerning this and a large amount of derision to this answer. Unfortunately the "Rebel" flag is itself considered a symbol of ignorance ie., racism. Slavery in all of its forms are wrong, from Egypt B.C. til even today, slavery is wrong as is racism regardless of the race.

Every country that exists now or has existed had a flag, why should the Confederacy be any different? Yes, they were part of the Union but broke away and formed their own country,laws,and gov't. Teach her the true meaning of the "Rebel" flag and then all of you can answer any questions put forth by racists. It'll be a long haul, but truth usually is

that is very nearly constantly spoke of as the accomplice Flag fyi. The flag itself isn't racist. It grew to become into the flag of the accomplice States of u . s . a . in the process the yankee Civil war. Assuming that the flag itself is racist is assuming that the Civil war grew to become into fought over slavery which isn't the case. The Civil war grew to become into one fought over diverse financial structures between North and South and the assumption of States Rights. Many southerners in the U. S. now nonetheless pick to fly the flag asserting that that's their background and is Southern custom that's real. in my view i don't discover the flag to be racist and that's oftentimes the mushy extremely liberals (and that i evaluate myself to be very liberal) who've a difficulty with it.

• smiley

Some people think it is a flag to show southern pride. But, others thinks it's racist. I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

Historically no....but it has been adopted as a symbol by rednecks and racist over the years, which is really sad.

i think its racist in some way but as long as the person is doin no harm them I'm fine with it even though I'm black its a symbol that a person goes ahead 4 anything not that there racist yup the south lost anyway so it doesn't matter

Its just a flag

Yes it is. It was the symbol of the breakaway Confederate States of America, proponents of you-know-what and prejudice all around. Any redneck goober claiming its part of their heritage is full of it and knows exactly what the Rebel Flag is all about.