How is it that christians can still believe in the creation story with so much evidence against it?

Those that say science has fabricated the fossil record to disprove christianity seem so immensely self-righteous. Do they think their viewpoint is so important to others that they would spend their lives creating evidence for evolution? I know that people are famously good at deluding themselves and we are all guilty of this in some ways, but it seems that christian fundamentalists must really refuse to expose themselves in any depth at all to science. It is very hard for people to admit they are wrong, especially when it involves such personal and emotional issues as religion. I find it to be very true that people see the world the way they want to see it and are block out those things they don't wish to see.

Update:

I should have been more specific in terms of creation being the idea that the world was created 5000 years ago and that man and woman were created directly by a god. I am not an atheist and I I do think that there is some ultimate source for things but it don't believe things got startedon earth for humans 5000 years ago. Hell, humans had started writing in it's earliest stages in Sumeria 5000 years ago. Also, I do not put myself in a category above other people in terms of seeing what we want to see and blocking out what we don't wish to see.

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm a Christian, but I'm also a scientist with a career in biology (I worked on angiosperm reproduction, flowers, pollen, pollen tubes, ovules etc ).

As far as I'm concerned evolution happened and still happens, the evidence for it is overwhelming - there's SO much solid evidence it's silly that we still call it a theory. I have no doubt whatsoever that life got started from non-living chemistry 3.5 billion years ago or so, I have no doubt that it started in many other places in this amazing universe. One of the astounding things about the universe is that atoms have the right properties to combine and interact in a way that's capable of making life. Given the properties of the atoms of 90 or so elements, galaxies, stars, planets, and life are pretty much inevitable - now that IS awesome!

The Bible contains history, poetry, geography, politics, law and all sorts of other stuff. But that does NOT make it a history textbook or a poetry book or a geography textbook. So what IS the Bible then? It's a book that shows us that there is a creator clever enough to design atoms that lead to life (just for an example). It tells us that he loves us. It's purpose is to open our eyes and our hearts to understand how we relate to one another and how we relate to him.

The creation story described in Genesis is there to tell us that he exists, that he brought the universe into being, that he purposefully caused us to exist, that he loves us and intends for us to love him and to love one another. It is foolish to take the Bible to be history or geography or poetry. We recognise that it contains those things but they're not its primary purpose, they're cleverly used to gradually guide us towards the Truth - that he IS Truth, and Love, and Authority, and Wisdom, and Grace. That he is the Beginning and the End. That he is is not IN the universe for he caused it and transcends it.

I'm afraid that so-called 'creation science' is not science at all. People believe what they want to believe and have the right to do so, but the Bible is not a science textbook and was not intended for that purpose by the Author. It has a FAR higher purpose and a far higher value to anyone who understands it as it is intended.

Source(s): The Bible ;-)
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Their entire self-identity is wrapped up in their religion. Naturally they will do anything they can to cling to it, no matter how improbable.

Unlike Genesis, there is real testable evidence of evolution in action, and even speciation has been oberseved in the lab and in the wild. I'll go with real world evidence over the words of a semi-literate tribe of Bronze-age nomads, thanks.

For those of you that claim that God deliberately manufactured the evidence to "test our faith", perhaps you should realize the implications of it: That your God might be lying. Clearly in this thread there are quite a few Christians who aren't above it either.

Someone once said that "Man wrote the Bible, God wrote the rocks." The evidnece of the rocks is in direct conflict with the claims of the Bible.

• 4 years ago

God created humans last according to Genesis so it is not clear why you say that Christians believe God created humans first. It is not a "fact" that we evolved from gorillas; it's not even what the Theory of Evolution says. There is however a growing body of genetic evidence which contradicts the theory that humans share a common ancestor with gorillas. That's why I am a creationist. You say you believe in God. Is the God in whom you believe able to create anything in seven days? How about 6 days? Can your God create anything at all?

• 1 decade ago

It is a matter of Faith! We do serve a God who has provided for us, CHOICE Christians or Believers is my choice of how I identify myself; choose to believe in the Holy Bible without question. Mankind has always questioned God. The evidence is in scripture. I might add if it were not so then explain the unrest in the Middle East? It was foretold in scripture, even foolish ramblings! When will it end? What is the more weightier question? How can I find peace and moral correction in a world that says what's right is wrong and what's wrong is right? I know that the answer to fossils and dinosaurs are in the Bible have you looked? It is not up to me to prove you wrong nor right but to direct you to God's Word which has all the ANSWERS!

Source(s): The Holy Bible
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Actually, I am pretty highly educated and came to understand that evolution only explains the development of life and not its origins. It certainly does nothing to explain the origin of the universe as it deals only with living things. The genesis account is not in direct contradiction to the fossil record only certain individuals interpretation of that data. Just because someone documents variants in species over large periods of time, it has never been documented of watching an actual intermediary species go from to the other and tracked genetically. It is only assumed by characteristics. The genes from parent through progeny have never tracked to a new species. Never.

In fact, the fossil record shows "abrupt" changes in species, not smooth transitions.

EF

• 1 decade ago

because they have lived with it their whole lives + 90% of people are idiots. Creationism and "intelegint design" have absolutely no basis whatsoever, whereas evolution has enough evidence to fill a billion bibles. how can people deny science when thier entire lives are based on it? if christians were true beleivers they wouls have nothing to do with science, they would liv without it! how can people deny the very linchpin the supports the modern world?

how insane would it sound if I told you most of the world follow some old fairly tales written over 2000 years ago? crazy right?

...well welcome to the world you're livin' in.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think I would research it a little more, even scientist are pulling away from the evolution theory more and more for lack of evidence.......*And I didn't say they all were! I seen a show that talked about this subject,and it discussed how there had been a decline in believers of evolution,because the evidence that they were using to back up their theory wasn't standing up against what they are learning as time goes by*

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Why then does that last sentence not apply to you? To answer your question, the very existence of the universe is ample evidence for creation. After all, nothing can come from nothing. Therefore, if anything exists, there must be something that existed before it. However, that thing has to be eternal and un-caused since nothing comes from nothing. That eternal un-caused cause is called God.

P.S. Does any one else wish that Father G would actually put some frontal lobe into an answer one day?

• 1 decade ago

I have to say that if it not for scientists, no Christian would care. I'm being honest here, the fact of how old the Earth is in regard to carbon bears little weight on my salvation. Believing in T-Rex doesn't take me to heaven or explain faith away for me. I care for God, His words, His thoughts, not the earth or the ice ages. I don't like arguing this stuff because to a Christian, it should be pointless, either God speaks to you or He doesn't. let the dead worry about dead things and the living care for Life. Thx for the Q.

• 1 decade ago

By faith we believe what we cannot fathom. We cannot know the dimensions of the infinite works of our Creator our finite minds cannot take in even a small portion of HIS works. Science has yet to determine the meaning of or length of a day in GODS time. So until they come up with a plausible time frame that can be proved I will stick with the word of GOD.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.